The Thrill of Flying the SR-71 Blackbird

Cool read. It’s probably old. True engineering marvel.

damn! too many gauges in there!

article gave me chills. great read. Wish the book wasn’t $427.

Great read. Always loved those planes.

awesome read

yup i just got goosebumps

WOW im thoroughly impressed. Awesome read!

Not sure if this article mentions it, but an SR-71 made it from LA to DC in an hour and four minutes wayyyy back in the day!

yes it is mentioned in this article…

On her final flight, the Blackbird, destined for the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum , sped from Los Angeles to Washington in 64 minutes, averaging 2,145 mph and setting four speed records.

reading>travis :lol

No coffee yet brah, I can barely see the screen. Sorry sir.

^ HaHa no problem bro. Just breaking balls.

Good read… SR71 has always been one of my favorite planes…

and I just thought this was absolutely hysterical

One day, high above Arizona , we were monitoring the radio traffic of all the mortal airplanes below us. First, a Cessna pilot asked the air traffic controllers to check his ground speed. ‘Ninety knots,’ ATC replied. A twin Bonanza soon made the same request. ‘One-twenty on the ground,’ was the reply. To our surprise, a navy F-18 came over the radio with a ground speed check. I knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he had a ground speed indicator in his cockpit, but he wanted to let all the bug-smashers in the valley know what real speed was ‘Dusty 52, we show you at 620 on the ground,’ ATC responded. The situation was too ripe. I heard the click of Walter’s mike button in the rear seat. In his most innocent voice, Walter startled the controller by asking for a ground speed check from 81,000 feet, clearly above controlled airspace. In a cool, professional voice, the controller replied, ’ Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the ground.’ We did not hear another transmis sion on that frequency all the way to the coast.

SR-71+Veyron SS and/or Mclaren F1=Dream Vehicle Hanger

I don’t wanna go digging for the exact quote but I liked the statement that was something along the lines of “we were a speeding bullet…only faster”

cool shit there

^ Pretty sick video.

Found it kinda funny that it takes 2 chevy motors to start it :lol I guess ford couldn’t cut it.

sweeeet! The air space museum is about 15 minutes from my house too!

Just.amazing

Saw it at the museum. Awesome