The Z is slowly transforming

Congrats man! Can’t wait to see it roll.

Pics??

Well before installing the intercooler it was boosting about 14 in third gear, now it’s boosting about 12.5, maybe 13. That’s great news because I was afraid I would lose more pressure across this intercooler. I have one clamp to replace and I’ll see what happens if I throw a little more boost at it.

Alright, here are the pics of the “finished” product.

Front view without a bumper. I still have to make a couple of brackets to mount the intercooler.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/chromedragon/intercoolage1.jpg

Under the hood. Whole system made with just over 360 degrees in bends.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/chromedragon/intercoolage2.jpg

Re-mounted BOV and a few little nipples for feeding the engine, plus the KA24e throttle body.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/chromedragon/intercoolage3.jpg

As it sits the car definitely feels faster, although it’s kinda tough to tell just how fast because I’m afraid that this rear end is going to blow apart at any moment. Chances are I’ll be down at Bud Park this coming Friday giving it a tryout. I’m hoping for a 13.5 if I get a decent launch.

where did you get the rubber tubing from? Did the stock throttlebody have coolant running through it?

Your using the stock turbo right? What have you done for fuel?? You are on the verge of everythings limit running at 14 psi.

I have not done anything for fuel yet. A new walbro 255 pump will go in next along with a rising rate FPR. I don’t intend to run any more boost than it is at since the fuel won’t be able to keep up, the new pump and regulator are just to ensure that the fuel is always there. On the dyno the car had no leaning issues at 14-15psi so I’m not too too concerned at the moment.

I did turn the boost down a couple of psi today. I’m seeing about 11psi at the manifold.

I got the tubing from Gregg Distributors. 3-90deg bends, one piece that included 2-45deg bends and 5 feet of aluminized steel tubing was more than enough and ran me ~$140. Not the greatest deal, but not bad considering some of those silicon bends run in the $60-70 apiece range.

I actually have one longer tube that’s collapsing a bit under vacuum so I’m going to chop a section out and throw another piece of steel tube in. I also still need to build a couple of decent mounts for the intercooler and find a better position for the air filter. Where it is now isn’t bad, but it’s getting squished a bit by the same intercooler piping that is collapsing.

As for the stock throttle body running coolant, yes it did. Since I won’t be driving the car in winter I found it to be a bit unneccesary. Also on the Z throttle body the warmer was on the underside, on this it was opposite so because of clearance issues it wouldn’t be run anyways.

I notice you were able to use 2.5". The van throttlebody is 46mm, so I’ll be using smaller hoses.

Smaller hoses should be cheaper. Take a look through their rad hose book and see what combined bends they have that might work. If you can get two or three bends out of one piece you’re laughing.

I can’t believe how well this intercooler works though. Just comparing the pipes from the hot to cold side. Stop the car just after you’ve had a decent pull and the cold side is just that, cold to the touch. The hot side…well it’s damn hot.