My Vert Turbo Camaro project

Well here is the run down of the project. driveline is a 02 4.8 [293ci motor] PTe88 turbo, Viper spec’d T56, 230/236 cam, ls2 intake, 241 heads. this exact setup made 702 rwhp and 565rwtq in my silverado with pig rich AFR of 10.4. Since the camaro is about 1k pounds lighter then the silverado i was curious to see how the setup would preform in a lighter chassis. I shift this setup at 7500 rpms but might bump that up a few hundred rpms. Car is going to have powersteering and all the bells and whistles, this isnt a track car just a street warrior that will see track times but again isnt a full out track setup. I know auto would be faster but isnt an option.

here are the mock up pics of setup

some of this kit is carried over from the silverado. also this will be exiting thru a CME but will use a cutout off the downpipe for track days

when fiinshed car wil lbe electron blue with white 35th aniversary stripes. wheels are OEM C6Z06 wheels with a Dick harrel clone widebody kit. engine bay has been smoothed and filled. the holes created from turbo kit will be filled and smoothed once again. all wires are going to be tucked and hiddend under the chassis. this will be a drawnout project

well today i worked on my rad support so i could use stock rad and fans. i cut rad support like many do and the piece that was removed was skinned and overlapped over the remaining piece. goal was to remain as stock looking as possible and doing this i still have strenght of stock and lines of stock as well. I also drilled out the spot welds holding the lower rad support in place. im sliding this peice foward to allow myself to keep the same angle of stock rad/fan setup.

made some progress after getting my bottles filled.

still up in air if i should triangluate the rad support for more strenght, ran short on time to finish more of it. Have to head to class

made some more progress today.

first up you can see how the rad is supported. i used 1x1 tube and cut it in half then i used stock rubber holders from the plastic rad cover and used them as the feet. I then had a cover break’d formed and also used a set of rubber holders on top

I also scored an AC delete box

then i started working on my nose support

it setup to use all the stock pushpins

ithen made more tabs to support the lower part of nose from flopping around

in these two pics you can see how open the area iis and how the intecooler is tucked in the nose

made some more progress today. started working on the manifold. You can see the final placement of the turbo, still have to finish welding it then possibly work on the downpipe

well i got more progress done today.

here are some shots of the IC moved as far forward into the nose as possible. I had to lose the TA foglight idea. so ill be adding some type of grill of some sort to hide the IC. also as you can see by the blue marker i still need to trim some more of the nose

im going to build a air deflector to direct the air from nose of car down to lower part of the IC and one from nose to top of IC this way the air is directed into the IC only

you can see in the pics the stock lower air deflector is in place just moved forward and reangled and works more as a scope to help direct air into the rad

now you can see the pics of the fuel rails and regulator. I Had it this way wihen i twas in the silverado and works well in the camaro. its hidden which i like the plan for this build is to be as clean as possible and things hidden

well today i made some more progress. Todays progress consisted of working on the manifold. As you can see the plugs are easily accessible and changable.

still leaves room to run stock heaterhoses

here you can see a mock up of the 4" dowpipe

in this pic youll see i have plenty of room on how the DP will route. ill be making a 90* turn and go between the engine mount and the block

Awesome man looks good

woah do I believe my eyes? Quik switches to FI, Quik decides trucks are too heavy?

haha either way great project.

for the record i had boost way before you were even driving. My first car was a turbo regal. I owned this car almost 18months and figured its time to put it on the road. So it was a no brainer, driveline from silverado is from a camaro so why not toss it in the car. Truck is put on back burner for now till i decide its next driveline/purpose

Lotta nice fab work. Always liked the truck. that is gonna be fun

thanks bud for kind words. It should be pretty interesting how this runs next season. Truck was a handful,l now less weight and more power for 2010 im in for a surpise

Truck was fun, great work on camEro. Truck > camEro :slight_smile:

i already have ordered you a fbodie’s are dead sticker.To match the one i got for pewter. Looks good so far. Cant wait to have a repeat of my ride in the truck but now in a car… OH crap why are we sideways at 90 mph.

Nice project George. I’m assuming you are using that little motor from the truck still?

looking good.

looks good

pics make it come alive

Looks awesome. Drop top for the win- that is going to be one fun car.

yes that is the intial plan to use the current 4.8 ive been using

subscribed…looks good so far man

Good luck with it homie, always liked your truck. I’m sure the camaro will turn out sweet.

thanks bud

looks real good and will be fun to drive, i like the roll bar

Nice work George :slight_smile:

wow that is very sweet

made little progress today. I channel’d the frame using a piece of 4" pipe. This was done for the 3" outlet.

i still need to address the welds some but thats another day along with the other work done in other areas

here you can see how the nose is supported along with how the IC and its tubing looks