Thinking of doing a disc conversion on the civic

Ive done some searching on this.

I have a 94 civic ex, the back brakes are drum and they are pretty much shot. Ive never replaced drum brakes before and looking at them (rusty to hell) i dont want to try.

I know a few of you have done the disc conversion and had a few questions.

I can use rear discs from a 94-97 teg right? I dont need them off the Si.
Looks straight forward, anything I should know before jumping into this.
Along with the conversion, ill need brakes lines from it too correct?

thanks

yeah you need the brake lines and ebrake cable i think

theres a write up on honda-tech, you should take a look at that

…really? thanks^

Weird. It sounds like you’re doing this because you don’t want to tackle replacing the drums, but this is going to be way more expensive and way more work isn’t it?

im seeing prices like $150 for everything.

its so rusted back there, i wanna guess EVERYTHING will need to be replaced

plus

id rather do disc brakes over drum any day in the future!

Gotcha. That makes more sense. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“rugsr,post:5,topic:39408"”]

plus

[/quote]

you do realize the INSIDE of the drums are a friction surface and rust free… and by replacing EVERYTHING you are just going to make more working with rusty hardware then you would if you just do a brake jub

yeah, its a straight forward thing to do. The parts from integras are interchangable with civics so it really does make sense. i have seen them on honda-tech and on here ~200. yeah those bolts arent easy to get off when everythings rusty

disc stopping power > drum stopping power

correct?

YES

[quote=“rugsr,post:9,topic:39408"”]

correct?

[/quote]

yea, but unless your tracking the car the disc brakes are fine… cuz they are in the rear… so lets say its an increase of 10% of stopping power of the rear brakes… but the rear brakes are only doing 10% of the brakeing force… you basically just only got abotua 1% increase in overall “power”

^
rear disks made a really noticeable difference on my old car. with teg brakes up in front it was even better.

get them with the hub, and trailing arm and its a 4 bolt job. then swap out the parking brake cable and brake lines.
tada

i think it took me and a friend an hour to do it on my old hatch

[quote=“rugsr,post:5,topic:39408"”]

plus

[/quote]

All drum brakes look rusty, because your looking at the outside cover. Inside they should be fine. At least take off the drum to see…

[quote=“rugsr,post:9,topic:39408"”]

correct?

[/quote]

FALSE. Drums actually have more surface area and thus more stopping “power”, not to mention since they are using the outermost diameter as possible giving them better torque. Secondly on a FWD car rear braking power is insignificant anyways.

The only enemy of drums is heat, if you can overheat rear drums on a FWD car, on the street you have serious brake bias issues.

As far as track use, the top guys in FWD are putting cheap NAPAs on the rear AND setting rear bias to zero.

i doubt the drum will even come off

i took the wheel off and parts of the drum were just breaking off…the outer lip

[quote=“rugsr,post:15,topic:39408"”]

i took the wheel off and parts of the drum were just braking off…the outter lip

[/quote]

breaking off?

it will seperate just need a BFH

heres a link for anyone interested
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=820484&page=1

I did the conversion on a 99 Accord.
Go here: www.car-part.com

You want to buy COMPLETE rear uprights (hub assembly, disc, caliper, parking cable, and contol arms from a similar year Civic with stock rear discs.

You take the entire assembly and bolt it right into your Civic. Hook up the parking brake cable (it will fit right in). Hook up the brake line, and you are done.

You can try local yards but I would highlt recommend Car-Part.com Call up yards in the midwest where there is no salt induced rusting.

I did this and it was just that easy. The parts were very well priced and shipped to my door. Stuff was rust free and very clean.

[quote=“rugsr,post:15,topic:39408"”]

i took the wheel off and parts of the drum were just breaking off…the outer lip

[/quote]

stupid question but was the parking brake on?

new drums are $19/each and shoes are $14 a set. The disc swap isn’t that hard but it might not be worth the money/effort. what is this car for? you have 3 hondas? I thought I was bad.

[quote=“MXS,post:19,topic:39408"”]

stupid question but was the parking brake on?

[/quote]

WORD.