Tile flooring?

Looking to tile a small area in my house. I’m going to try to do it myself. I really don’t want lowes or homodepot crap.

I’m only going to do 55 sq ft in my bathroom and see how it goes.

Where is a good place to get tile?
I was looking at the wood look tile but I’m not sure about it yet…

Suggestions?

what’s so bad about lowes/home depot tile?

Depot / Lowes sells the same brands mostly… but if you feel better about paying more you can try Best Tile on Walden and Dick, Tile Shoppe on Walden, or Pro Source in Benbro Park off Walden.

-If you are using 1/4" HardiBacker on the floor it MUST be set to the subfloor using thinset.

+1

X…

I was under the impression lowes and homedepot was all "grade B " stuff?
I planned on thin set and backer already.

I’m probably way in over my head, but hell I’m gonna give it a shot.

Investigate and learn to use a substrate called Schluter Ditra. Depot sells it and if you use it right, you’ll never regret the choice. Eliminates the need for hardiboard and can be used over almost any subflooring, except tongue and groove. We’ve installed tile from $ 1 per sf. up to $ 8 per sf. In your bath, if it looks good, buy it. Don’t worry about the price. Home centers typically carry “simple” designs. Tile stores like Best Tile will have a greater selection. Also investigate Quartzlock no seal grout. We use it exclusively.

Best Tile has some really nice looking stuff. I used Home Depot stuff in my bathroom that Foureyed did for me and it was very reasonably priced and looks good.

I used the 1/4" hardiboard and tile from Lowes in the bathroom I did.

Was a fairly easy job; just messy.

Schluter Ditra.

ok, you already said this once; was there a reason to quote my post and say it again or are you just trying to be annoying?

Side note: I looked at that stuff; and for my application it was not worth the $$ or trying to learn how to set tile for my first time with a system like this. Plus with my sub-floor it was unnecessary and would have cost me roughly 4x as much as the hardi-board.

Where can I get that stuff?

At the risk of pissing off WS6 I’ll repeat Home Cheapo, or Tiles International in OP. I believe Best Tile carries it as well.

this stuff looks really cool, looks like it takes a lot less time too. is all you do is cut it and roll it out?

Cut to shape with razor knife, use the specified thinset, press into place with a trowel or lino. roller, done. You can tile right away. Think they have video’s on you tube. Haven’t used hardiboard in years. Carry a 300 sf. roll on my shoulder. How much do you think that much hardiboard weighs?

Im not sure , probably atleast 15lbs perhaps. i had to do like 20sheets today up to a second story from a garage 300feet away because it was raining out :fu: lol

if you havent done this yet you should let me do it :slight_smile:

My last job I went to Dobkin Tile on Benbro rd… great selection and my tile guy at that time had a 50% commercial discount which made it even sweeter :slight_smile: Got everything for my whole bathroom for ~$300.