Tin foil hat on..... homeland security ammo order...

Let’s look at the numbers a little closer and see if we can pry the tinfoil hat off old Bluey for a couple minutes.

1. It’s 450 million rounds over 5 years

So that’s 90 million per year. DHS employs 135,000 weapons-carrying officers. That’s 667 bullets per year for each weapon carrying officer. It’s a lot if you use the scare tactic of the chain email’s “one bullet per citizen”, but when you stop to think about hitting the range once a month for practice it’s just 56 rounds per month.

By comparison as a non-LEO but strong believer in the 2nd Amendment and personal protection I hit the range about once a month and go through a minimum of 100 rounds per trip. Suddenly 450 million, or 56 bullets a month per officer doesn’t seem at all like marshal law is about to be declared.

Sure, not all off them will hit the range once a month. Of course, of the ones that do I’d be willing to be they use way more than 56 rounds. I know if I could shoot for free any time I wanted and it would be considered not only part of my job but something that could likely save my life at some point I’d be ripping through 1000 rounds a month.