Tipping Point

how about because it’s a miserable life living at the poverty level?

I’m going to assume this is a joke.

if that’s all you’ve ever known…

are you saying that poor people don’t know there is a better life or that they know but feel helpless to change their situation?

im saying lazy people on the system have no motivation to get off it.

How many people go from welfare to success? I am guessing less than 1%.

if you’re living in a miserable situation, wouldn’t that be motivation enough?

see my previous question.

how many millionaires have been broke at least once? (this is a fun stat)

Exactly, millionares will always get rich, lazy people won’t. What is the ratio? 10000/1?

so for one to be poor, they must be lazy? is that always the root cause?

or is it just an easier way to justify not wanting to help fellow Americans. (by help I mean better education, more social program that focus on ending the cycle of poverty)

why would something like a church group help the poor? I mean, wouldn’t that be a waste of time since the lazy people are beyond help.

Naw, the disastrous 8 years Bush was in office secured a definite democrat win in the 2008 election. Not “freeloaders wanting more free money”…

No they could just be dumb.
I help fellow Americans, there is no reason for govt to be involved, that is what has weakened our country.
You obviously don’t understand the power of faith.:D(FYI: People that attend church make more money and live longer.)

dumb as in uneducated, or are we talking about some lesser breed of human here?

P.S. it’s not the faith, it’s the connections and education. (just like any other networking). Also, shouldn’t a god fearing African have a better life expectancy than an Atheist American?

Naw, the disastrous 8 years Bush was in office secured a definite democrat win in the 2008 election. Not “freeloaders wanting more free money”.
:picard:

Well, you are already there, mine as well just stay :lolsign:

Yay, I get to use a neocons favorite line for when someone doesn’t agree with them! Here it comes…

If you don’t like it, THEN GET OUT!

lol

Haha pending a career decision and how it gets here in the next 4-8 years, I just might for a little.

deyy tukk errr jerrrbbbsss!

Here’s an idea to end the CYCLE of poverty; How about providing incentives for welfare recipients to use birth control, or better yet, get sterilized rather than giving them more benefits to bring more welfare recipients into the world?

A few other quick facts related to this thread:

-1 in 6 people in this state work for a municipality.

• That WHO study that ranked the US 37 (or what ever) doesn’t factor int he infant mortality rate. The US has been among the lowest in the word in that stat for 40+ Years.

What passes for overty for a welfare recieient in a state like NY would count as rich in many countries.

The following are facts about persons defined as “poor” by the Census Bureau, taken from various government reports:

•Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

•Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970 only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

•Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

•The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

•Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.

•Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

•Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

•Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.

The main problem with the system is, in order to get out of it, you have to cut back on something, or make a ton more than you were on the system. In some cases you actually have to cut back on the little things you enjoy, your making more money, but that quality of it isn’t as good.

Need transportation to a job, ok job makes enough for that.

Need tools, clothing, etc, for this daily job, ok the job can pay for that, but can’t get that new Jacket, got to put fuel in the car.

Need health insurance, there’s a program for that at a reduced rate.

Need food on the table, uh oh, make to much for food stamps.

Really liked that show on USA, but I have to eat so I’ll go back to basic cable.

Man really like the looks of that computer, but I need to get a new tires on the car.

See where I’m going with this? The benefits down the road from working and networking etc don’t really appear to someone who’s used to the money comes in, I spend it how I please since it doesn’t matter if I wake up tomorrow before noon and I don’t have to actually go anywhere tomorrow. My friends all live within a mile, my wife and kids are right here, that program for free school supplies is great!

Lets face it, what’s missing from the general mindset of almost all Americans is that go get em, hard working spirit. Everyone wants more money, but wants to work less. Those that actually work hard, see their pay drained going to that guy who basically makes the same after expenses.

Hard workers are a rare thing, reliable hard workers are nearly extinct. Being in the building trade, I see first hand how true that previous sentence is, partly because there’s no incentive to the extra mile “RIGHT NOW”. Instant gratification is king now.

Think about how simple you could live and be happy. Now imagine your fed, housed, health and well-being are taken care of…oh wait your basically a child sucking on mom’s tit.