* to DVD conversion

What does everyone use to convert .avi, divx, etc. to DVD format?

Best (quality & process time) I’ve found so far is WinAvi - about 1/3 realtime.

Nerovison Express > *

make your own menus, use animated buttons etc… hoTT

search for it…

the full nero package is available on torrentspy currently. i recommend you read the reviews before deciding which torrent to download. it’s ~600megs.

ehh, nero sucks balls imo.

too bloated.

check out videohelp.com also.

I rarely convert downloaded videos for use on DVD. I seem to get the impression that most of what I’ve downloaded is like 320x240 or some non-NTSC video size. While the videos look fine on my computer, I really expect them to look like poop on a 27" TV (or larger). Then again, TiVo uses 480x480 at its highest quality, and it looks pretty good to me.

In order of quality:

Sony Vegas (if I have time to actually make it creative)

Nero (if it works)

Sonic MyDVD (for TiVo, but the program kinda sucks and is very slow when trying to edit out commercials, etc.)

now is it bloated, or is it complete?

btw most of the downloads are disc images, so once installed it won’t take up that amount of space… just fyi nikuk.

Sony Vegas Plus DVD Production Suite V6 – on torrentspy, 1.1gb.

The thing about Vegas… it’s a video editing program. It’s not “select video file, make dvd.”

It’s more like “import video file, make changes, render to .mpg and .ac3 (after calculating your bitrates), open DVD Architect, import .mpg & .ac3, make menu, burn to DVD.”

It’s not for a simple transfer to DVD.

ahhhh, yeah i’d say one of the other choices is probably better for him then…and me for that matter lol…

Actually, if you tried it, you might be surprised… The Family Guy episodes I’ve converted over look better than the Simpsons Season 6 DVDs that I bought. The comparatively low resolution of TV hides alot of flaws that you see on a computer monitor.

I use TMPGEnc and VirtualDubMod. I’m looking for a better solution than the way I do things now.

:tup: for all the input…

I have Nero VisionExpress 2.0 - actually a whole Nero Suite that rolled in with my OEM software for the drive.

My only problem with Nero VE2 was that it was taking 4ish hours to complete a transcode & write to disc. :eek:

I DL’d & cracked WinAvi to handle conversion - which took just under an hour (for Family Guy the movie - 1hr 30m length) and then burned the converted file with Nero - which took about 20 minutes.

I have not played with the extra “features” of Nero much yet. I generally don’t spend time setting up the crap like titles & menus, just gimme the movie on a portable format :slight_smile:
But, is there an editing tool in it? To merge two or more files? I’d gotten “The Boondock Saints” but it is in two 51minute files :frowning:

Thanks again…

-Nick

If you just want to join the movie files and keep them on your hdd – you can just use windows movie editor to join them. It will take some serious time though – overnight most likely.

If you want to burn it to a dvd, it’s much easier – In nerovision you can select more than one movie file to use in your dvd. Click browse for media and select the files, in order.

It will show up as a separate “button” or clickable image on the menu. If you start out by selecting the first movie file to play, it should automatically start the second segment once it is playing. Once in a great while the viewer will see a black screen for less than a second when this change-over occurs during playback.

I frequently have more than one movie piece/movie/scene so I have some experience with it. Hope this helps.

:tup:

Thanks man, i’ll get a chance to play with it tonight prolly.

sure thing. lmk if you need any more help. i’m a ner… err i mean i’m aaaa… knowledgeable… sometimes… :slight_smile: