Today I work for free

He’s going to spend time going through the process of litigation. This is the same time he could spend working. If you figure out his labor and apply it to the court case, along with the costs of an attorney, that is what he’s risking, compared to the cost of doing the work. There is an intangible value associated with teaching the kid a lesson or standing up for your business and being vindicated, but it all comes down to how you want to spend your time and how much money you want to throw at something.

I’m not saying he can’t or wouldn’t win in court, I’m just saying that when you put the numbers on paper it may not be worth going in the first place. Some people were making it sound like Jay would just walk into court and win because it’s so damn obvious, and that is not the reality in my experience.

For what it’s worth, I think the best move would be to avoid court, have the kid pay for parts and just do free labor, as you suggested. From talking to Jay I think that’s where it’s actually going anyway.