U.N. Report Declares Internet Access a Human Right

Now kids are empowered to report their parents to the UN for human rights violation when they were denied internet access, because she try to hook up with another “girl” on a random chatroom for some free Bieber tickets.

U.N. Report Declares Internet Access a Human Right

By David Kravets Email Author
June 3, 2011  | 
2:47 pm  | 
Categories: Censorship, politics

A United Nations report said Friday that disconnecting people from the internet is a human rights violation and against international law.

The report railed against France and the United Kingdom, which have passed laws to remove accused copyright scofflaws from the internet. It also protested blocking internet access to quell political unrest (.pdf).

<i>"While blocking and filtering measures deny users access to specific content on the Internet, states have also taken measures to cut off access to the Internet entirely. The Special Rapporteur considers cutting off users from internet access, regardless of the justification provided, including on the grounds of violating intellectual property rights law, to be disproportionate and thus a violation of article 19, paragraph 3, of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights."</i>

The report continues:

<i>"The Special Rapporteur calls upon all states to ensure that Internet access is maintained at all times, including during times of political unrest. In particular, the Special Rapporteur urges States to repeal or amend existing intellectual copyright laws which permit users to be disconnected from Internet access, and to refrain from adopting such laws."</i>

The report, by the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression, comes the same day an internet-monitoring firm detected that two thirds of Syria’s internet access has abruptly gone dark, in what is likely a government response to unrest in that country.

source: wired

Wait so if I dont pay the cable bill, its their fault right? lol

Only if you are using cable as internet access and not tv and phone.

My understanding is the government should give everyone free internet access, especially in US. Aren’t we at the forefront of the human rights movement except when we ask someone nicely for intel and they don’t wanna talk? :rofl

Food, water, shelter…broadband? :facepalm

nobody cares what the UN thinks/does

access cannot be denied, but it cant be heavily monitored and limited.

so as long as you are able to access the world wide web by some specific medium, than your rights arent being violated. the terms of which you can view though is not defined.

Since when a paid, unessential service became a right? Does that mean everybody gets to have it for free now?

What the fuuuuuuu?

This world is fucked

Internet access is not a right it’s a privilege and it’s not needed to physically survive so the argument itself is just stupid.

um, wow…at the thread replies, not the report.

Seems to me that their intent is to try and stop opressive regimes from making it impossible for entire populations to access the web. Which in a way is a good thing. However I don’t see things changing any time soon.

Has nothing to do with free internet for everyone. Has to do with censorship and limiting the access to information.

It’s in the third sentence of the article for crying out loud. :Idiots

China is probably the biggest violator of this followed by Iran. Ironic since China is a permanent member of the UN Security Council.

China has been there since the introduction of the UN and the Cold War. The US has violated UN policies, regulations and orders and we are still part of this council.

I’m sure every single member of the UN has violated its policies in one way or another at some point in their respective histories. However China is notorious for human rights violations. With a few billion people under their thumb they can ill afford any type of public uprising or threat to the regime hence their atrocious record of violations.

UN = pointless

ditto

I wish the US would just pull out of it.