Ugh...I need a Mac

Ok…as much as I hate to say it I need a Mac. I have a great laptop that I want to keep but I now am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I do development in Windows (Visual studio) so I need a Windows capable PC and am porting a bunch of apps over to Mac along with some new development with some people and doing it in a VM is just not going to work anymore. OSx86 does not install properly on my laptop due to some unsupported hardware so my options are this.

I can get easily $1000 for my laptop now.

A) Find a cheap Intel based laptop that is capable of running OSx86 and being stable ($500? out of pocket)

B) Buy a Mac Mini and use it for my media server plans and also development ($599 out of pocket)

C) Sell my laptop and use the money towards a mac book pro and dual boot windows 7 and Mac OSX ($2800 - $1000 = $1800 out of pocket)

Any suggestions?

Get a mini 9. They are VERY compatible. The 10 probably is too.

You know where you can get them on sale. :slight_smile:

this is bad news?

The Mini 9 is awesome. I own one. But they are getting phased out. The Mini 10 is nice, but they will have a lot more features most likely in May, so I’d wait on one of those if you are planning on getting one.

I could sell mine :slight_smile:

Which one? Any chance at a Mini?

What Mini is on the Apple site now?

I also found a lot of people found that the Dell Mini with a 10" screen has installed OSx86 right out of the box with no problems. The 10" one runs about 399

With new features, may come new hardware. It could make it incompatible. Certainly could go either way. The current models make an AWESOME OS X netbook though, really.

My friend is selling a Mac Mini for $200

Copy Pasted from another forum

If it runs the latest version of OSX i will take it

that will run leopard no problem

FearBefore128: I will take it if it runs the latest version of OSX.

Is he in rochester or Buffalo

Will this be able to handle high def media too such as playing BluRay rips?

Thanks

MAYBE

BIG MAYBE

edit: lets put it this way. If I was confident that it might, I would have snagged it out from underneath you.

Eh oh well. I just need a development environment. I have a month to release two apps and the VM environment shit is killing me.

Interesting. That will for sure run the newest OSX ?

That mini for $200 is a steal. It needs 1GB of ram without a doubt, but the rest of it is acceptable. Its a older machine, but its not bad.

I run the newest leopard on my ibook g4, 512mb of ram.

It runs better than tiger!!

OS X is actually a fairly light OS. Doesn’t take much to do day-to-day tasks on one.

for everyone else interested, if I find out things fall through with Boxxa i’ll PM you the sellers email

Boxxa. if your not interested LMK, I have cash :wink: