Using a Abrasive chopsaw blade in a miter saw

i have a really nice 12" sliding compound miter saw, and a decent 14" chop saw…

The chop saw does have provisions to cut angles… however, the angle “guage” on the chop saw isnt the most accurate thing in the world… but my miter saw is very accurate.

Can i put a 12" abrasive cutoff wheel blade into the miter saw to use that? i have a need to do a lot of accurate angle cuts soon, and would like to be able to take advantage of the miter saw

I don’t see why not, as long as the arbors are the same you could. Just be warned that wood is cut nicely at high rpm and metal low rpm.(as an example circular saw speeds are around 5000+ RPM while their metal blade counterparts are around 3600 RPM). Just take it easy on the “blade” because you don’t want the extra rpm to break it apart.

What are you planning on cutting? We’ve used (abused) our old chop show to cut aluminum downspouts with a regular wood blade before and the cut is actually really clean.

Cutting 16ga 1x1 mild steel

Dont. Not if you want to go back to wood. All those metal filings will clog up all the adjustments. It will never cut wood the same again. I found out the hard way.

Yea, the fragments have a good way of messing up bearings in the saw head as well.

i agree, if your going to cut metal, don’t plan on cutting wood again. also, if you have a dust bag, remove it, as the sparks will most likely ignite it, as well as melt some/any plastic. Not a great idea. I also found out the hard way.

Dont ruin your good miter saw

I wouldn’t do it.

print and paste:

X3 for ruining your good miter saw. Well, i bought it for doing metal, so it wasn’t a big loss. But it’s def not a nice woodworking tool any longer. If you’d like to borrow mine, you can!