weird car problem

go to start the car… but it shows i have no power… which in turn wont let me start the car… i have to roll start it after it sits for about 6 hours…weird thing is i have lots of power… radio clock doesnt reset and neither does the dis…so i have something going wrong… what do you guys think the problem might be?

What do you mean shows no power. As in no lights or dash lights come on. Also what do you mean by you have lots of power explain more

everything works dash lights radio etc… the power gauge in the car shows i have no power though…and when i go to turn it over i get nothing… gauge turns off like it normally does but it doesnt turn over…this only happens after it sits for a few hours though…

hmmmmm maybe bad ground or something killin the battery. How old is the battery

Starter??? :dunno:

I was gonna say that next…When you turn the key do you hear a loud CLICK sound but nothing happens

fuse?

ha ha what the heck do i know!

Cat??? :smiley:

so i added more oil to my car the other day, f-in left the oil cap off for 1.5 days. I kept smelling something and thought the cat was acting up! lol

:doh:

did it spray oil all over your engine bay?

if i knew what an engine bay was I could answer that. :slight_smile:
I popped the hood and cleaned off all the excess oil, now it seems fine.

engine bay = area under the hood where the engine sits :slap:

Engine bay would be EVERYTHING under the hood of your car…thats the bay

I dunno what the problem is, but i konw at times my car will wanna do the same thing for a second or two, then it fires up… and for me its the security system. My car has the chip on the key, and my main key must be gettin old or something, b/c it takes the car a minute to recognize it sometimes… rarely, but happens on occasion. And i’ve never had it happen with the second key, which i used for a while… so i know its my key… does ur car have a security system like this?

not to pick on you, so you don’t cry, but what in the fuck does any of that have to do with hannibals car?

hannibal… sounds like an open circut…test power on the dash and random shit with the car off and see if it’s drawing… or test it with the car off then turn the key and test. see where teh drop is. something is draining power.

could just be a bad battery.

:rofl:

if you have good power everywhere except to the starter and at the guage, that means there is possibly a problem with the wiring that runs to the starter. Check the power from the battery to the starter and anything inbetween. Usually, the guage is run off the alternator, but im not real sure on the ford.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you have a ford…Well there is your problem there… :booty: LOL

It was all over the engine bay - probably explains the smell. Thank goodness for absorbant paper towels

i think he is talking about his oldsmobile