Weird XM problems with my Kenwood DNX8120

So, I bought this radio a while ago and have had zero issues with it. Love it.

The previous owner had left me his remaining subscription to XM and I used it till it ran out. NEVER had any problems.

Recently (like 2 months ago), I finally setup my own account and the last week or so I’ve been having some weird issue with my XM device (which plugs into the back of my Kenwood).

If I use any other source other than XM, the radio is fine.

If I use XM…sometimes (not always) it will reboot the radio and show the Kenwood splash screen. Then, by default, the source changes itself to Standby. If I go to the sources menu, I don’t see NAV/XM there like I normally do. In its place is Standby. Sometimes it goes back to NAV/XM and continues working.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

I’m pretty sure it’s not my radio, but I KNOW XM is going to say it is. The lady on the phone who I set my account up with was fricken confusing and hard to understand. I can’t imagine getting better service from those people.

Sounds like a hardware/communication issue, do you have an XM direct box? Check your cables.

Yeah, I have a GXM-30 module or whatever you wanna call it sitting on my dash that runs to my stereo. Nothing has been touched or moved, but I’ll check the cables. From what I’m reading, it could be the XM brain itself (the device on my dash). Great, another $260. I got it used so I doubt it’s still under warranty.

do you have it hard wired to your deck, or are you using Fm modulation ?

:facepalm

ah yes cables, damn im half asleep here lol

Yeah it’s got it’s own dedicated plug on the back of my unit. I’m going to check the cable but I doubt it’s loose. From what I’ve read, looking like my Garmin XM unit is on it’s way out.

I had it do the same thing to me, but I have the XM direct box connected to my Alpine. It just didnt recognize the xm unit. Cycled power on the car and it worked.

I usually just flip it to another source and back to XM and it works…till it cuts out again.

Found my problem. It was the SD card I had in the radio that has my 2010 maps on it. My navi stopped loading it’s maps, so I popped that out and the Navi now works (with 2008 maps) and XM works.

Gonna try to re-copy the 2010 maps and see what’s up, but that makes no sense. Oh well, at least it ain’t costin me nothing.

how the HELL would that problem cause that issue? wow. so weird.