Well 3rd gear let go in my Del Sol last night.

So Im planning on building the trans this time around with carbon coated syncros and maby a road race gear set along with a new clutch. Does anyone in the buffalo area have experience building Honda trans? I am planning on getting it out of the car but once I order all the parts I might need a few tips for a rebuild.

Story- Last night I was boosting 3rd Gear and at the top of my RPM’s the gear Completely let go and does not even feel like its there anymore. Any input on what could have let go? Wile I was trying to limp it home I could still use 1,2,X,4,5

I am looking into Syncro Tech Carbon Coated Syncros for 1-5 and possibly a new gear set since it would be more beneficial for autocross.

Thanks guys!

-Dave

You could probably buy 20 transmissions and have them installed for the cost of what you’re proposing.

My thoughts exactly.

Break 1 a year for the next 20 years.

Carbon coated syncros are a waste of money IMO for Hondas. My last trans had them and it still was a pain in the ass. You’re better off buying a stock low mile minty one and throwing a LSD in it and call it a day. Can’t remember what motor you have or trans. I have spare B series transmissions and parts laying around and my buddy should have some spare ones from his old d series. If its a d series did you snap a shifter fork? I know its common with those.

If you need any trans work I advise going to see Andy Walker btw.

Andy is the transmission man, and I also agree with everyone else above.

Unless you are buying a sequential/dog box don’t waste your money on “building” a street trans. Just buy a spare and keep it in the garage.

Very good advice looks like im looking for a nice D16 honda trans! Thanks guys :tup:

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I do not think I snapped a shifter fork because I only lost 3rd gear. It does not even feel like 3rd gear is there anymore, almost like it does not exist, dont even kick me out of the gear… nothing.

My buddy said he has 3 disassembled ones you can have lol. Make one good one out of them. :gotme:

:bigtup:
They’re are dime a dozen.

get a good used one and fill it with GM syncromesh fluid. Works awesome!

I’ve had good luck with amsoil synchromesh that swerve sells too.

:tup: now you have a 4 speed,my jeep has no 3rd either and its been that way for months :lol:

The same thing happened in my DSM a couple years ago on a built transmission. I never did open it up to see what came apart. Gotta be the same thing though.

Yea hopefully ill get this taken care of soon. Iv never just had a gear completely go out like that before Im so curious to see what could have happened.

If you were shifting while it happened i would say it would be a fork, if it just broke idk i could be anything lol. However my talon did the same thing at like 3k RPMS not even beating on it and it got stuck in 3rd and i couldn’t get it out even if i beat the fuck out of it. It randomly went into 2nd while i was turning around to go home after it happened and then it just fell back into 3rd. felt like a hotdog in a hallway lol. long story short it was the shifter fork. But for the time you’re going to waste taking it apart, just get a “new” one for 100-150bucks and tinker with the fucked up one after