What are the ECU power and ground wires ?

hey guys i have a 1990 s13 hb sohc, stock ecu, im wondering which two wires hook up the ecu to pwoer and ground, i need to hook up my greddy stuff there… lmk

what is Factory Service Manual?

Vlad the ecu has a load of grouds, and a couple power wires. I can’t remember exacly which pin is power. Pull out the FSM and trace the wiring diagram at the back and you’ll find it in a gify.

Andrew.

Black/White is always 12v switched power

Red is always 12v constant power

Black is always… you guessed it ground

now lots of sensors have their own power and ground so if you tap off there you’re sorta fucking with teh system and i wouldn’t reccomend it but i doubt you’ll have probs, ify ou’re lazy just splice into the first black/white and black you see. if yoru car blows up let me know so i can laugh

alesserfate,

I don’t see why anything would need to connect to your ECU power

if anything all you need is a constant 12, 6, or switched 12/6.

as for the ground, it’s the easiest thing to find, just look for the one wire that has 02302394820948324 other black wires merging at it (that’s where all your sensors ground)… they’re usually insulated with this grey crap.

you need to tape into that as close as possible to get the best 0 reference, but the power, it shouldn’t matter.

thanks alot guys

Sasha I would like to hook up my greddy electronic device but I am scared tapping it to ACC or battery cause it doesnt seem something that needs alot of power, so i wanted it to come on at the same time as my ecu basically, if its white wire with black stripe would it just come on when my car is on ? or can i hook it up to a red and it will work the same ?

let me know guys, im working on this tomorow…

alesserfate,

and if you want to be super anal any device you add should have it’s own power supply straight from the battery, if you start stealing power from your ECU it could start to do funny things.

I can guarantee you this “greddy electronic device” has a high impedance, you don’t need to worry about connecting it directly to the battery.

to be honest, it doesn’t sound like you have a clue as to what’s going on, try to find someone else to install it or follow the instructions, you don’t want to blow it up or even worse blow up your ecu.

lol dont hate, im pretty good with wiring… im just wondering where to hook it up best, some guides online say to ecu power, i ran my own wires from the battery for my deck and other stuff inside the car cause my interior power harness is fried, i also custom wired my cluster cause there was no power to it, so i wired it to the proper switches and made my own harness… lol dont hate…

lol dont hate, im pretty good with wiring… im just wondering where to hook it up best, some guides online say to ecu power, i ran my own wires from the battery for my deck and other stuff inside the car cause my interior power harness is fried, i also custom wired my cluster cause there was no power to it, so i wired it to the proper switches and made my own harness… lol dont hate…[/quote]

dont say dont hate or im gonna hate

but yea it doesnt matter where you give the thing power its gonna deal with it the same as long as its 12v. The unit determiens current not the power source. Since everything is 12v no worries.

lol dont hate, im pretty good with wiring… im just wondering where to hook it up best, some guides online say to ecu power, i ran my own wires from the battery for my deck and other stuff inside the car cause my interior power harness is fried, i also custom wired my cluster cause there was no power to it, so i wired it to the proper switches and made my own harness… lol dont hate…[/quote]

dont say dont hate or im gonna hate

but yea it doesnt matter where you give the thing power its gonna deal with it the same as long as its 12v. The unit determiens current not the power source. Since everything is 12v no worries.[/quote]

thanks alot sasha…

I’m not hating I’m just lookin’ out for yah ;/

think of the extreme case of connecting a 1000W power amp to the 12V power for the ECU… you’ll see right away what stealing from another units power source can do.

and yeah, it’s probably just a small unit but any sort of fluctuation in power supply can cause issues, in this case it will probalby go unnoticed but it’s not a good habit to have.

thats now what i meant dude

i meant 12v, no matter where its from, will not fry a component designed to take in 12v. Whehter its from a 2 gauge power wire or a 20 gauge 12v signal wire.

The greddy electronics are designed to be tapped in on teh engine harness and its never a problem unless you maybe pull off a sensor dedicated power then you might fuck up your map sensor readings and run lean while you’re in montreal drifting and blow your #3 ring lands but who knows

yeah I hate it when that happens :frowning: