What is your personal definition of handling?

If you are already pushing in a FWD (unless you’ve got a cool torque-vectoring system like ATTS), more throttle is going to just give you more understeer. Lifting a bit would help bring the nose back in line.

I generally have driven FWD cars that are not considered to handle especially well. Too soft suspensions, body roll, understeer, all-season tires, etc. Learning how to make a car like that go around corners forced me to learn about controlling understeer, weight transfer, and trail braking.

I would say for a somewhat idealized handling feel, on a front wheel drive I’d want nearly neutral balanced towards oversteer. That way you can easily get the car to rotate, but you can just induce understeer by giving it too much throttle if you get in trouble. I also prefer a slightly longer wheelbase (my car has a 106in wheelbase), because I feel like it is more forgiving and lets the car rotate a bit more slowly. This makes oversteer easier to catch (screwing around in the snow, my car tends to drift out, rather than just do a 180).

For RWD (which I admit I don’t have enough experience with), I’d want neutral with a touch of understeer. That way you can just power through it.

On the whole, I think the best handling car is the one that gives the driver the confidence to drive it the hardest.