where to buy steel?

A guy I work with is looking to buy some steel to make some targets for his shooting range. He’s having a hard time finding a good place to by some sheets of like 1/4 thick steel. Any one have any suggestions?

mcmasters is a good place, but shipping steel sucks balls… you can get it from some suppliers around the area… which part of pittsburgh are you talking?

north south? i know of a plcae in century III and east.

He lives in Squirrel Hill, but has access to some bigger trucks so he can travel to where ever. C 3 would be closer, depending on where in the east you are talking about.

Thanks!

Clinton Aluminum & SS Products (800-826-2600) Ask for Sherry.

I believe they will deliver for $1 per line item on some products.

Up in Allison Park, I cant think of the name its near Glenshaw Glass, any body can chime in here if theyd like, otherwise i’ll figure out the name and pm you or post it

Benshaw? I dont know what they make, I just know that they are a big company with big buildings close to Glenshaw Glass…

Actually Benshaw just moved into this steel companies old building, and the steel company moved a building South, But it is in the sam Parking lot.
It may be called Glenshaw Steel?

Omslaer steel supply Next door to me. Cheapest pricing on steel around. I know they have full sheets. I have a 4X10 sheet 1/8 inch. I have one extra sheet if you are interested. I will sell it since i do not need it for the job anymore.

benshaw makes motor controls for large electric motors… i dont think they will sell you steel

For .22, go with 1/8" mild steel.

Shooting at steel less than 3/8" thick with common calibers (9mm, .40, .45) will result in seriously short life span. T1-AP is better than mild steels for this.

If you’re shooting rifles, like a .223, at it…well, T1-AP 1/2" thick will crater nicely.

Rifle steel should be 580 and be placed at > 50 yards distant for standard military rounds (.223, .308)

I’m not sure where you can get this stuff, but I will find out.

(And, don’t ask…:smiley: )

I also think there is a place down in the strip, somewhere in the 20’s block and Penn. Don’t know the name though.

we bought one of those spinner targets for 22’s and placed it about 20 yards away…

first shot by my dad, the damn round hit the target, and came back at me and my brother, a big piece hittin me in the knee cap–droppin me, and another smaller piece hit my brother in the neck…

it hurts to get shot…

i said FOCK this… i’ll stick to shooting dirt mounds

Glenshaw Steel Supply in… duh, glenshaw. I got the steel from my jeep’s front bumper there.

If they don’t fancy you, then Horewitz in Butler can take care of it no prob.

Thanks all, I’ll give him this info and any that comes later. :kiss:

hahahahah, sory it made me laugh

“FOCK it hurts”

Anyways you cant say that you got “shot”

You have to tell the ladies you were near some friendly fire and were struck by shrapnel and debris, part of which was a piece of a bullet that was fired no more than 20 yards away from you.

Try that at the next party, pretty sure it’ll get you some tail.

Anyways I would def. not be shooting into steel for targets, AND be looking for a good deal?!?

I would Def. want to get the most reliable piece avilable and I doubt the place I told you about will have it, so sorry

Yeah, if your shooting at steel make sure it’s a safe distance away. It can and will ricochet.

hahahahah, sory it made me laugh

“FOCK it hurts”

Anyways you cant say that you got “shot”

haha you know it wasnt all that funny at the time but now its hilarious…

first words out of my mouth were " OWWW, FOCK!!"

yeah i’ll try that sometime tho about the debris… LOL

Well, I talked to the guys and our club gets it donated to us from a guy named Eric. I’m not sure where he’s getting his T1 armor plating from, but I’ll ask him the next time I see him (in yet another month).

No huge rush. The money he was going to do this with was just used to purchase some more guns, so it’s going to be a little bit longer till he gets the loot again. Thanks for checking in to it though.:bigthumb: