Which shocks & springs to get?

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have an s14 and the shocks are almost gone on it. I was woundering which are the best for keeping the car on the ground while I’m…you know. I was thinking of getting the Tein springs cuz they are not that expensive and they are “Tein”, but I am having some problems on deciding which shocks to get. I hear a lot about Tokico but they are around $400. I dont know a lot about shocks and which are best. My question is, what kind of shocks would go best with the Tein springs? and are most shocks basically the same? Also I was thinking about the new Tokico D SPEC but they are around $700. So what do you guys think the best option would be and for a reasonable price?

Later

coilovers or rsr race springs with koni yellows

if ur gonna spend upwards of $700 like ^^^ said just get coilovers

if you want shocks, the best ones you can get for our cars are the KYB AGX and the Koni Yellow ones… they are both adjustable.

I’ve ran the AGX on my S13 and I regreat getting rid of them now :frowning:

But if I end up going with another Shock/Spring Combo then I may try the Koni Yellows but odds are I’ll go with Coilovers so I can have full control over ride height (whch is the only down fall to a shock/spring combo)

my friend is running tien S springs, and tokiko blue, the springs cost him 220, and the shocks were 510. they run pretty good…but still… like they said…go for coilovers. u have more control of what u want in the suspension set up

just a q…do coilovers allow u to raise the car all the way back up to stock or close to stock height?

i beleive so … or at least really! close

yea coilovers ftw if yuor gonna be hardcore, kyb agx are really good shocks tokico blues are more of a street shock its hard to get hardcore with that but i have that right now an di guess its ok

AGX are the best and really the only shocks to buy considering how expensive the Koni’s are. AGX’s are slightly more than half the price for equivalent performance.

there is no reason to get coilovers unless you track your car.

if you drive your car in the winter and dont see a few track days every year then get spring / shock

its cheaper, easy to maintain and far less margin for error / bullshit

+1

i run AGX’s and i couldn’t be happier.

^^^

yup,

if and when i do a second mild car for beating on while looking like a decent car still i would get AGX’s and sportlines or something similar, RSR maybe.

forget Tein springs…

Canuck Motorsports springs FTW.

Anyone who says coilovers are to hardcore to run daily is a wuss, I live in Montreal (worst streets in North America) and I have a 3 inch drop with preloaded springs and second to last hardness setting and its not even that bad. Even my girlfriend doesn’t mind! If you put them at the softest setting and don’t preload the springs and raise the height, they are softer then spring/shock combo, almost as soft as stock. (This is with a 8/6 spring rate.)

AGX have lifetime warranty too, I sell them all the time they are aweome shocks. I wouldnt go lower than 2" drop with springs tho, you’ll run into camber issues and by the time you get it all aligned properly you’ll have entered the coilover pricing range.

^^there ya go he knows whats goin on

i agree that montreal has the worst roads around… its disgusting

Wow, thanks for all the help everyone,very usefull! I think i will go with the spring/shock combo since all I wanna do is lower the center of gravity on my car. I was thinking of getting the AGX shocks. Does anyone know where i can get them? and for how much?
Later