Who killed the electric car?

i remember reading an article on hybrids…
and essentially what a waste of money they are…

it will take nearly 100k miles before they “pay you back” for the
added cost on the sticker.
by the regular camry or whatever for less and have much less to go wrong…
then sell it and by another even more fuel efficient version in a few years…

the 30-40 mile range is false, early battery packs were on the order of 60 miles with a proper charge. that is assuming that it is not especially cold or humid that day. i had one through work for an entire summer, a proper charge got me a touch over 90 miles.

part of the reason (not the major reason) the cars were killed off was the expense to keep them on the road. suppliers refused to make parts after the initial run because GM did not build as many as promised limiting the return the suppliers would see.

You mean like about 1/3rd of this country has from Nov to Mar? The more I read about the EV1 the more I compare it to people’s ideas for gas boycots. On the surface it looks like a good idea, but when you really research it it’s stupid.

Now make one with modern technology, lithium ion polymer batteries instead of NiCD ones, modern electric motors, modern regenerative braking, and maybe it would work. But, you still have to get past the fact that reinventing the wheel costs a lot of money, and people aren’t willing to pick up that cost in the sticker price. Sure, a few eccentric people would buy them for $400 to $600 a month lease (which I can guarantee would be a losing money deal for the automaker), but a few people do not make a car market. In a few years the car would be killed because it’s a money pit for the automaker, and another wack job would be making movies claiming it was a conspiracy.

Sure, the car would be great here in the summer for commuting to work. But how many people are willing to buy a 2nd car that is only good 1/2 of the year for 1/2 of their trips, and pay $400 to $600 a month for it? No matter how much it saves you in gas you’re always going to be in the red from having to have 2 cars, two car payments, two insurance payments.

that is the main reason Arizona and SoCal were targeted first. upstate ny is fine from may to october when i had mine.

Bump for the resurrection.

Ya know, if you read through that thread it becomes very apparent that the EV-1 is the reason the Chevy Volt exists. Seems to me the EV-1 wasn’t a failure at all, it was an experiment.

EV-1 died because the oil companies saw that their future profits would be dropping. So they bought it and killed it =/

Lol at “pollution free driving” when most of the electricity in this country comes from coal and natural gas, including most of wny’s electricity, not Niagara Falls as most ppl think

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z76/cvguy/cvguy%20humor/cvguy%20cartoons/IDriveACleanCar.jpg

HAH^

More air could be saved by sheeple dropping the frigging awd/4wd from their oversized suv/cuvs that the insist they need to drive through the snow. That we get for 4 months of the year. That we get 10 days worth of actual snow on the ground. That they are actually driving through maybe 6 of the 10 days…

BUT I NEED FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!!! ITS BUFFALO!!!

oh yeah, and by the way, trust me you dont need a fucking expedition for your two kids.

I may still be in the market for an electric car, speaking of that, Nissan still has my $99 leaf deposit from several years ago. I am still waiting for the call that my car has been built. lol
My reactor will be making clean electricity for my car. Once it arrives I will start a new thread for that. :slight_smile: My energy bills lately have been beyond insane!

I am not sure if other states are looking into this but Minnesota wants to tax miles driven. I guess they don’t like people not paying gas taxes in their electric cars. One concern I have is that everyone needs roads whether they drive or not. Another concern is how do they know how many miles you drive on Minnesota roads, maybe with GPS.(?) Talk about big brother.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/mileagebaseduserfee/

PS. I checked on my reactor delivery, it should be here in about 3 weeks. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t NY tax you on any electricity you send out on the grid via your own generator?
Maybe we could license all solar panels and get the owners to pay a small tax to support licensing efforts.
$0.01 for every calculator seems like a good start.

The EV-1 made no sense at the time for a commercial electric vehicle. gas was really cheap and nobody would pay 2x the price of a standard car to never break even.

Costs[edit]

GM based the lease payments for the EV1 on an initial vehicle price of US$33,995.[SUP][1][/SUP] Lease payments ranged from around $299 to $574 per month, depending on the availability of state rebates.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] Since GM did not offer consumers the option to purchase at the end of the lease, the car’s residual value was never established, making it impossible to determine the actual full purchase price or replacement value. One industry official said that each EV1 cost the company about US$80,000, including research, development and other associated costs;[SUP][62][/SUP] other estimates placed the vehicle’s actual cost as high as $100,000.[SUP][1][/SUP] Bob Lutz, GM Vice Chairman responsible for the Chevrolet Volt, in November 2011 stated the EV1 cost $250,000 each and leased for just $300 per month.[SUP][63][/SUP] GM stated the cost of the EV1 program at slightly less than $500 million before marketing and sales costs, and over $1 billion in total, although a portion of this cost was defrayed by the Clinton Administration’s $1.25 billion Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles (PNGV) program.[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][65][/SUP][SUP][66][/SUP] In addition, all manufacturers seeking to produce electric cars for market consumption also benefited from matching government funds committed to the United States Advanced Battery Consortium.

I don’t understand your question. Are you talking about sending electricity to the grid via generator?

A guy at work told me that he will have to pay taxes if he sells electricity back to the power company.
His referenced a windmill as his generator. Not a large windmill, just something that would exceed his consumption.

Income tax or…

I believe he used per kW

Vanishingly few survive today outside museums. The only one confirmed to remain in private hands is owned by director Francis Ford Coppola, who told Jay Leno in 2014 that he hid the car away when GM rounded them up in 2003 because he loved it so much. There are rumors of another that allegedly sold to an anonymous collector for nearly $500,000 in 2008. The rest are dust in the wind, but this one appears mostly intact save for a missing battery pack and drive unit indicated by the high-riding front end.

Someone should LS swap this.