Windows Home Server

Anyone played with it yet? I got a p4 HT server its running on at my house with about 1TB of storage on it. I am VERY impressed with this software by Microsoft so far. Yea yea…most people say that Windows should not be used in servers which I tend to agree coming from an IT background and and dealing with both Linux and windows and there is a lot of upkeep and rebooting when installing patches but that can all be automated if needed but overall, I really have enjoyed the 2003 Server series as a whole and this is another addition.

The interface is awesome for backing up, remote access via the web for your media, automated restore for up to 10 pcs on your network, etc. It also provides remote shares that can be accessed by any computer on your net or only you. Developers can build add-ins to add new features such as Wake-on-Lan for network PCs or the server itself and others too.

It is Windows 2003 Small Business system that MS installed some other features over but overall, I really suggest this software. Also, if you have multiple hard drives, Windows now created its own type drive duplication and mirroring similar to RAID which allows you to duplicate specific folders over the drives so you dont waste storage on not critical files. For full backups, Windows can mirror entire drives too.

Price is pretty reasonable too. For the whole package you can pick it up for about $150.

I havent had a chance to play with it yet, but I have heard to stay away from the software Mirroring, just like all the other 2003 server software.

Besides that, I havent heard much else about it. Sounds pretty interesting.

Me being in IT, I already have a full fledged 2003 server at my house for storage. I wonder if this has any add-ins I can install on my 2003 box, like the network computer backup utility. I wonder if it actually works… or if it is just Microsoft Backup.

It does some cool stuff…I had to sit though some Microsoft presentation on this and a bunch of other new technologies…

I would like to throw it on a server and try it out sometime.

Yea I wouldn’t deploy it in a mission critical small business situation but you can mirror all your desktops so you can have backup images for each user.

Ive been impressed for a home situation that is pure media. I need to play more and see how well my Xbox 360 works with it. It supposedly has Media Extender on it so any enabled device can use it.