wireless network nerds help!

my store in springville has sat. internet. for those unfamiliar with sat internet, it isnt worth its weight in, well, anything.

so what the boss asked me do come up with was a solution.

try to help me think of something.

what he wants to do is go across the street and see if he can get the owner of the store there to get cable, and just hook up a wireless router, my boss will pay for it.

what he wants to do is hook up a wireless router to it and grab it from there. lets say our store is 400-500 feet away.

running wire is out of the question. what would be ideal is:

across the street : cable modem>wireless router-------something on our end>router>computers>???>profit

help?

edit: we have the highest level of business level sat internet available through direct way.

should also mention, cable nor dsl is available on our side of the street.

i think that is kind of far… for a normal everyday wireless router to do… the boss might have to drop some serious money into one with a good range… i’mn not sure on the ranges i’m looking it up

A general rule of thumb in home networking says that 802.11b and 802.11g WAPs and routers support a range of up to 150 feet (46 m) indoors and 300 feet (92 m) outdoors.

the better ones have like 1800ft ranges…(outdoors) like 750 indoors… still finding out the prices for that shit

thats fine, just get G and you will be all set, theyre cheap, i paid like 50 for mine

u can get better antennas for that range ^

then just get a access point for the pc

no problem

Not that you or anyone else really seems to care, but that is theft of services. Not that big of a deal for an individual, however a business could get fucked.

/covering my ass

NOW, you might want to try a cantenna or something similar, DIY directional antennas may be able to boost the signal enough for you to pick it up.

well he said the boss is goin to pay for it so i dont see y the guy would want to get him in trouble as long as he pays for it

boss would be paying for the service.

so how do i work it on the recieving end? how do i get the router/access point to pick up the signal (assuming we can get the range needed) and direct that to the other computers?

You’re looking for something similar to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833998003

maybe i missed it but where would that plug into a router?

Mmm, good question… I am pretty sure it replaces the external antenna on the Buffalo routers. Under features it says: For use with Buffalo AirStation Wireless Routers and Access Points

I’ve never personally done anything like this or know anyone that has, but I am definately interested in it…

Pringles can…

haha, from the antenna description

“Approximately 1.9mile range (3km) of each device Outdoor Directional Antenna is connected to”

I’d say this would cover what your looking for, as for the connection to the router, “WLE-LNC Pigtail Adapter Included”

Then you just need the computers to have wireless cards, or another wireless router configured properly to function as just a receiver, then distribute through wires/wirelessly to your other machines

I’m rockin my free introweb … Linksys tri-pole … and a Cantenna …

Ill pull a signal from a good 1/4 mile away