WTB: 454ci BBC

Short block would be fine… just seeing whats out there. Thanks! (older the better)

I think I got one if I find it its all yours.

currently weighing my options… i didnt know they were laying around like they are! everything needs a bbc!!

i have an 8.1(496) long block $500

God… If I would’ve known these things were this damn cheap I would’ve never gotten rid of my g-body GP… lol

Jay, Talk to Rob he may have access to some short blocks.

What do you intend to do with it?

For the most part, 454’s are the same from 1970-1990 & they are considered Mark IV. Most everything interchanges between all years. The Mark IV has a 2 piece rear main seal & the later ones have weak cranks. Mine is a 1990 & the crank & 1 piston broke when it had 26K miles on it. The last 2 or 3 years of the Mark IV production motors were junk (Brian will tell you all BBC’s are junk).

1991 & up production 454’s are Mark V & do not have a provision for mechanical fuel pump. Also have 1pc rear main seal & many other small changes. Some issues can occur if putting Mark IV components on Mark V blocks. Not impossible, though. The aftermarket has supported the Mark V pretty well.

The Mark VI has all the benefits of the Mark V plus a mechanical fuel pump boss. I am not positive if there ever was a Mark VI ‘production’ 454ci block. I think the 496 (8.1L) are all Mark VI. Brian can probably confirm this.

That 496 short block is a steal for $500.

hmm ok… now does the ‘mark 4’ stuff work on the mark 6? im not sure how that interchangeability works there…

Are you making a boat anchor? lol

just powering one! i’ll have to take a pic later

I’m not up on the Mk 6 stuff, but I believe that is why the Mk 6 exists. The Mk 5 caused some interchangeablility issues, but the aftermarket responded to it. I think the Mk 6 is a mix of Mk 4 & Mk 5.

i’ll have to do some more research… 8.1l sounds like the hot setup!

its for this:

you are my hero. i love wagons!!

Oh man, that is sick! But you will definitely need a bigblock in that tank just to keep up with the flow of traffic hahaha.

What, no faux woodgrain panels? :zzz:

meh.

I got a 1974-1978 454… It’s between those years. cant remember exaclty…

what the heck, shoot me the details…

It needs a roof rack

Any chance you still have this for sale?