wtb: old ass computer

looking for a mobo/processor combo… HDD would be nice, but I really dont need it.

I’m looking for something that will be strong enough to run XP… shouldnt need any memory.

lmk what you gots… I’m making a carputer for the brick :smiley:

out of curiosity, what do you plan on doing with this, is it mainly for audio?

TV/radio (tuner card)… movies/cd’s/mp3s and GPS/maps (and probably some other stuff once I get it all setup).

making a rack to hold everything (mounted under the rear window, like the stock amps on the mustang) and just run it to a double din size LCD touch screen monitor

I wouldn’t recomend going with somehting super old. And for a carputer, why XP? if it is going to be switched on with ignition and powered off of either a custom relay, or an inverter, I would recomend 98lite. It boots way faster, and can run most all aplications.

When i build my project car over the winter of next year, the laptop that i am working on right now will be getting built into the dash. It is a P4m 1.9 with 1G of ram. That is what i would consider ideal to run GPS, TV, DVD, Audio, and tuner software all loaded on boot and no wait time from clicking buttons on the custom GUI

I guess it doesnt need to run XP… figured it would be more stable, not to mention alot of things are designed for XP, over 98. especially wireless networking (I guess it would just streamline the process a little)… but that is a good point about the startup/shutdown.

a 800 mhz P3 processor would run XP ok wouldnt it? long as I was running a decent amount of memory. Obviously I’d be turning off alot of processes thru the services.msc to not load on startup, but your right… 98 would load alot faster

I have a P3 450 that runs XP on 256MB of RAM… starts up the same speed as my P4 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM at work…

the key is what else you’re running in the background…

on a related note I’m also looking for a really cheap system that can run XP…

lol i thouhg tyou were lookin gfor a commodore 64 or something… damn, nothing for you.

I got a celeron 800 on an intel mobo lying around somewhere