wtf microsoft automatic updates.

Hey Guys.

I have a dell in my home office that does nothing but crunch database data and process it to keep my website synced with my suppliers inventory.

Its pretty much mission critical.

Example if someone orders something that is not in stock, then that looks really bad for me, and sucks having to send back any money that they send via credit card.

Anyways, I have automatic updates turned on, and I like that.

But now its doing automatic reboots after it installs the update.

This is driving me nuts.

It will force a reboot, and kill the process I was working on, and then I have to re establish the connection to the database.

Sometimes the computer will sit for a week or so, and I’ll remote into it and get very pissed off that I basically lost a weeks worth of time updating the website.

Losing a weeks worth of time is insane, because it literally takes 48 hours to crunch data for each product line that we do.

Can anyone let me know how to stop it from doing automatic reboots when i’m working on something?

Thanks,
JH

turn off automatic updates.

if u update and u dont reboot, then its not gonna do anything anyways. so u might as well just take some time every few weeks to remote in, download and install updates and reboot.

Turn on download but don’t install?

Is it a part of a domain?

What kinda OS is it?

go into your group policy manager => administrative templates => Windows components => Windows update

Screw with the policies there.

Where you can auto download and manually schedule the install, and also there’s a policy for “No Auto-restart for schedule AU installs”

Can’t you have it start and connect on windows bootup?

[quote=“Daddie,post:4,topic:29769"”]

Is it a part of a domain?

What kinda OS is it?

go into your group policy manager => administrative templates => Windows components => Windows update

Screw with the policies there.

Where you can auto download and manually schedule the install, and also there’s a policy for “No Auto-restart for schedule AU installs”

[/quote]

its xp home. I’ll check that out howie… thanks…

your using xp home for something critical?

lol

turn off auto update then disable all of security center on start up

Right click My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates tab > Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.

I have my 2k3 server set to install them at 7am because no one is using it at that time.

[quote=“BuickGN,post:7,topic:29769"”]

your using xp home for something critical?

lol

[/quote]

beleive it or not yes…

Came with the dell computer, it works absolutely fine.

Unfortunately Windows XP Home users can not do much to change this behavior, except saving all the data before going to sleep or disabling the automatic updates.

http://www.aviransplace.com/index.php/archives/2004/12/18/tip-disable-auto-restart-in-windows-update/