530XI or M35X and why?

bmw awd is bad because it is basically a selling point on cars made for grocery getting moms. none of the m series have AWD so you cant argue it is a performance based void. pretty sure the reason it is so bad (i.e. not the best awd system) is because of the initial tq bias of the center dif. kinda like having an old school blazer with 4 on the fly, only 2 wheels really get power at any one point and they are opposing sides of the car always. could be wrong on that since i dont know a whole bunch about it.

since it seems both cars will be DD, not modded, and driven for comfort as a priority, i would go with infinity because BMW interiors suck ass. i give the upper hand in reliability to bmw, but only slightly so then for the sheer factor everyone buys a bmw and doesnt know why, i give the edge to infinity because it has a slightly more rare factor to it (i hate having a car other people love/have etc)

but, go drive both and see which you liek better.

joe

Both are really nice cars, but personally id go with the bmw.From my own experience ive driven both similiar infinity and bmw models and infinity’s are nice but theres nothing like a bmw.

M35x. PERIOD

Having driven both (not nessec. in AWD trim) I think the M35 is a better value. IMO, a big factor, since you’re not buying a play car, but a DD.

BMW has a FULL warranty for 4 years 50K if you buy new. That includes everything but Gas and tires. It’s really hard to argue with that.

X…

my parents bought a g35 coupe about 2 + years ago and its never had to go into the dealership.

RL.

I remember seeing a vid on the net of a AWD 5 series paired up agains an A6 quattro, both on rollers. the showed that the BMW was abled to get off of the rollers while the Audi stayed on. I cant remember where I saw it but it was pretty cool. Someone explained to me why it was that the BMW was able to get off but I cant remember. Anyone Know what Im talking about? I personaly would go with the Infiniti. Better value IMO

The M35 has possibly the ugliest rear end of any luxo sedan ever made…ever

There have been two BMW awd systems within the past 10 years (as far as I know/as far as the US market is concerned).

The E46 came with a 40/60 split system. I don’t believe it adjusted power between the axles. This system was also used on the X5 before they were updated in 2002, or whenever the X3 was bestowed onto this world to take Suzuki’s crown for worst riding small SUV. The new system, cutely named xDrive, adjusts power between the front and rear axles and stops individual wheelspin via the stability control. I’m guessing if it was a new 5 series that it had xDrive. I can’t imagine it could be any worse than the mounds of other AWD systems that have similar designs. I think many of the views on BMW’s awd system may be founded on opinions formed based on the old system(s).

Many, many companies don’t design their AWD systems in house. VW/Audi, Volvo and Ford use Haldex. Honda used BorgWarner for their larger SUV’s and the Ridgeline, and then again for SH-AWD. Anybody remember when VW and Audi’s AWD systems were different? I think it was called Synchro. I’m not sure who BMW contracts, or if it’s an in-house design.

Bimmer all the way, i think just out of overall style plus the warranty.

Vw’s was synchro and audi’s was and still is quattro. Only the tt uses halidex

Infiniti Nissan AWD 4wd systems are engineered produced in house. Coming from my cousin who works at the stealership

M35x seems cheap inside, BMW Awd sucks. Get a regular 530 or 550 (or the m45 - those are fun too in their own way) or if you’re stuck in the lemming awd mode - get a Lexus GS350AWD - best interior and best reliability. probably not quite as fun as BMW - but who cares.

One common theme on this forum is that if one fairly well known person states an opinion, everyone else jumps on and screams that opinion down the road.

I asked a friend who is well versed in BMWs about the old e30 ix system. He told me that they were reliable and great to drive as long as you didn’t throw a ton of power at it and changed the center differential oil when recommended.

Granted, the new 5 series is probably much different than the old e30 as far as AWD systems go, I still wouldn’t rule out the BMW.

Both cars have rather bold designs that I think will age poorly. Think about it, a 96 A4 still looks rather classy. A 96 Lexus ES 300 looks like something that was sweet in 96.

Perhaps I am getting old, but I think I would look in the direction of an E class with 4 matic. MBs always seem to have a timeless elegance about them.

I have a 330xi and it gets the job done.
If I dont drive like a dick with the traction control on I can drive on any amount of snow
very stable and smooth ride, and when I turn the traction control off, Drift King

:tup:

The e30 ix system has nothing to do with any contemporary BMW. ix had limited slips all the way around and was pretty much a fully mechanical system, which was quite good, rally based thing.
The new xi stuff… I think the main problem is that to make room for extra driveshafts they jack up AWD cars, which raises the center of gravity and… blah blah blah…

The sad part is unless you plannign on doing some serious offroading in the winter, the RWD BMW is perfect, this is my second winter with the RWD V8 540 and it has been excellent in the snow. Between winter tires and traction control - not a problem.

He has a ride to work that is basically a tour of ski country. AWD is pretty much the only way he rolls dailys.

acura rl or tl

better yet the acura tl A spec

http://www.comavto.ru/album/conceptcar/acura_TL_A_spec.jpg

I am going to say the BMW. Because it is the better car overall and I will guess you are not buying this to go auto-X anyway, so the “performance” on the AWD might not be that crucial.