88 Fireo potential?

i would like to know more about this …how do they??

Was it the 4 or the 6 that had a tendency to start on fire. They look like a blast to drive.

You’ll get to love the MR setup once you drive it. Enjoy auto-x in it as well.

I know I’m going to miss my MR2 once I sell it this spring/summer, and maybe one day in the future I will get to own one again.

Bloody knuckles are standard fare :tup:

same here

Couple ways.

1. On early years they had an insulation on the firewall that could come loose, fall onto the manifold, and catch on fire. Fixed via recall.

2. They shipped a whole bunch of iron duke 4 bangers with faulty connecting rods. When one of those fails at high rpm a big hole gets punched in the block, oil and antifreeze hit the manifold, big fire.

And of course there was your typical GM coverup, refusal to recall etc etc.

“The fires affected almost exclusively the 2.5 L engine, and mostly 1984 models. (Note that there may have been additional occurrences after the above reports were published.) The primary cause of engine fires was a batch of poorly cast connecting rods which failed when the oil level became too low.” - Wikipedia

When the connecting rod failed it would leak oil and the oil would catch fire…

thanks for all the help/info. I’ll try and get some pics of it tonight (if it’s not too dark out)

is it in lkpt and if so in the trailer park?I seen a clean silver one on ebay out there once
D

nah, it’s in Derby on the side/front of my friends garage :smiley:

OMG QFT. the back 3 cylinders SUCK. idk about the 4 cyls tho.

GTO>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fiero either way

lulz @ thread title

They saw it as a small number with only 260 reported fires…that doesn’t say more connecting rods didn’t fail. But they didn’t feel the cost of pay offs were higher then the cost of a recall.

Turn it into an SCCA ITB car :slight_smile: How much is it? I always liked those cars.

well, I’m actually building him a gaming rig, plus some cash for it.

stopped by on the way home tonight to check it out. It has some very minor surface rust here and there, but for the most part… it’s really clean. I’ll get some pics posted when it’s a little brighter out

Undercarriage shots matter, check out the subframe and etc as people said.

The 80s were a bad era for metal on cars

I deff will, although my buddy is the 2nd owner… older lady owned it since new (garage kept). He only drove it for a few weeks and it’s sat ever since (the part that scares me).

even comes with a spare engine :slight_smile:

So if you buy it you’ll have 2 boat anchors, not one.

Can you tell I’m not a big fan of the iron duke?

Have you heard it run? Will it start? If it won’t start when you turn the key to on do you hear the pump run? If not look for a small black relay (about 1" square) attached to the air filter housing in the trunk (might be just hanging, I’ve seen some where the bracket fell off). Give it a couple taps and try again. That’s the fuel pump relay and if it’s original they have a tendancy to fail.

lol well… can make it fun.

throw a nitrous kit and keep upping the jets until it blows :smiley:

edit: I’m guessing a 75 shot will do it

I really think I could strip one of these cars down completely and re-assemble it with my eyes closed. Probably have to peak a little on a 4 cyl since I haven’t owned one of those.