Any hunters on the board?

it’s not light. many of the youngins use it as there first gun. i started with a 222. and i have a 223 now that i use specifically for doe. .223 with a 6-24 scope. if you need a cannon to kill a deer, than you just suck.

That’s sigworthy.

it’s not light. many of the youngins use it as there first gun. i started with a 222. and i have a 223 now that i use specifically for doe. .223 with a 6-24 scope. if you need a cannon to kill a deer, than you just suck.

you do know thats illegal right? there is a minimal caliper for big game in PA and its .243 i believe

i have no problem with .243’s…i have used a 6mm remington to kill many deer. i just find that 100 grains is about the minimum of what i’d use. most 80 grain loads are varmit rounds…dont know of too many premium game bullets in 80 grains for the 6mm. my dads friend uses handloaded 95 grains in his .243. nosler partitions give me complete pass thrus 90% of the time. damn good bullets.

it’s not illegal you wanna-be know it all.

:rofl: :rofl:

look it up!!! .22 rimfires are a nono, but a .222 or .223 centerfire is fine. actually all it says is minimum requirment is a centerfire rifle. it doesn’t say a size.

X2 I started with a 22-250 and still use it sometimes for fun(doe) carry a 30-06 most of the time. Deer hunting is fun down here on my farm, especially the last saturday for the annual brown its down day. Huge drives, lots of kills to fill the unused tags!

Not at all, all 3 of those deer were shot at less than 20yds and none of them ran farther than 50yds after the shot.

Last three I have shot have been that far. If you are hunting fields it is easy to get a shot that far.

The 264 is +/- 3 inches out to 330 yards, but the recoil is pretty stout for a 26 caliber but you can’t argue with 125 grain nosler partitions at 3400 fps. I screwed around with trying to get a 100 grain barnes x bullet to 3700 fps to get flat out to 350-360 but decided that was being a little ridiculous.

I don’t own one but the cadillac of flat shooting deer rifles is the 25-06 ackley improved. 100 grains at 3500 fps and recoil like a 260 remington. I think I might need to get me one of those.

look it up!!! .22 rimfires are a nono, but a .222 or .223 centerfire is fine. actually all it says is minimum requirment is a centerfire rifle. it doesn’t say a size.

wow, all these years i been told a 22 caliper centerfire was illegal. maybe at one time it was, but i could have sworn it was illegal. i didnt see a minimum caliber, but it does say bullets designed to expand on impact, which most 22 caliber bullets are not. they are designed to frag on impact. they do make a few loads that could be considered for deer, but I myself think its alittle too light unless at very close range. if anything was to go wrong such as slight deflection of the bullet and it was to strike far back or into the shoulder bone, i wouldnt think you’ll be recovering that animal. i’m afraid the bullet would not have enough energy or hold up well when striking big bone. why take a chance of wounding an animal and losing it? as good as a shot you may be, theres always that chance of somethign goin wrong. i’d rather be wrong with a 100-200 grain bullet in a variety of calibers, than a 50-60 grainer

i’ve killed many deer with my .223 between 2 and 300 yards using both hollow points and ballistic tips at 50gr. i’ve been hunting for 20 yrs. .22x centerfires have always been good to go.

awesome, i might have to try that sometime. i been lookin into gettin a .22 caliber varmit/target rifle…but i may just go 7mm and built the same setup. either 7mm-08 or 7mm WSM

kill some more and make me some jerkey

.300 is no cannon its a .30 cal bullet just like a .30-06 just more powder=more velocity and energy…anyone can shoot a light round, hence the fact most kids start out with a .243 or .308 type round…i chose my .300 Ultra Mag cuz its flatter then a 22-250 and its still has energy at range

just most area’s i hunt at dont require much longer than 150yards in which .243-30-06 will do great

most deer i killed are under 50 yards. i think i only shot one at longer than that

300 ultra is a big burly cartridge. i seen what this one guy i hunt with’s 300 weatherby does to deer at short range… about a softball size exit hole thru the chest… that just seems way too much power. i’d have to control myself to not shoot at close range deer

my brother uses the .300 mag( i consider it a cannon. it’s way overkill for a deer). shoots nice and flat. he got the barrel ported to reduce the kick for better accuracy. it’s nice, but wastes a hell of a lot of meat when he doesn’t hit the perfect spot. it’s just a bit much for a little deer. better for elk or moose o. i think my .270 is perfect for deer especailly where i hunt(wide open fields). i have the oppurtunity for upto 500yd shot.

If you want flat then go to a 25 or 26 caliber. Far less recoil and for flat shooting for deer it is tough to beat a 257 wby. 6.5 stw, or 257 stw.

True. But I usually don’t hunt gas lines or open fields.

Flat shooting is nice, but 100gr at 3700? YEOW!

All .25 are all pretty good compromises between bullet weight, profile selection and speed. Excellent for light game like deer, antelope, etc. and it’s small and fast enough to double as a varmint round if you can extract the accuracy.

The only bad thing about the faster rounds in .25 or .30 is the throat erosion problems that crop up from running them so hot. Other than that, they’re awesome.

Did a little research a couple months back on my .300 on loads and what not I could load a the way down to a 90 grain vmax bullet and not worry about tumbling bullets, but that would push the velocity to 4000 fps and thats cruisin…and back when I had my .30-06 i got bigger exit holes with it then Ive ever gotten with my .300 Ultra, idk maybe because the bullet moving slower and the bullet open up more idk

now a days im not hunting for does either because of being in school and not having the time like I used to so I don’t plan on shooting any small deer with the .300, Ive always heard things about the .300 wby being a cannon and tearing deer up but Ive never had that happen with my 300 Ultra, I was shooting a 180 gr swift siroco before and i think the cloest i shoot a deer was like 200 yds and ive i think in the past 4 yrs ive shot 3 deer and ive only had one time i had an exit hole, that bullet opened up real nice. This year im shooting these new rounds called core lokt ultra bonded we’ll see how they work

and to be honest recoil wise, i have my 300 in a Rem 700 BDL black synthetic stainless and it has the recoil pad from the factory and its not that bad, yea if your shooting it in the summer in a tshirt it fucks you up but in hunting season when you have atleast a layer or two on its not bad at all, i dont even have a ported barrel

i take it you dont handload that 300 ultra? cuz its more powerful than the weatherby in factory form

handloading that 300 ultra will be great for deer loads…just lighten it up abit. thats what my one friend does.

but i seen what his factory full power weatherby loads do to deer…and its not pretty. definately a waster. i’m tellin you, near softball size hole out the front of the chest when shot just in front of the rear leg on a quartering away angle. lol… it really is a powerful round. my platinum tipped 400 grain sabot slugs out my 12 guage did far less damage…but seems to kick alot more haha

Flat shooting is nice, but 100gr at 3700? YEOW!

can you say…barrel burner??