Best laptop under $600?

I know nothing about computers and I need a new laptop. My last 2 have been HP’s and they just seemed like they were cheaply made. I travel a lot and bring the laptop with me so probably the thing at the top of my checklist is durability. Also I need to be able to get it at bestbuy, I have a bestbuy CC that I got when I purchased my TV last year and I want to use it for my laptop now so that I can pay the computer off over the course of a few months.

Thanks brosephs

Unfortunately any of my choices you probably couldent get at bestbuy…

BUT… Dell hands down. Durability on even their cheaper notebooks is much better than many other brands, and if it does break the market is so saturated with dells parts are easy and cheap to come by

Yea Im actually using a Dell right now and it seems suprisingly durable and lightweight. I have no clue which model it is though theres no codes or serial numbers on it. Just says Inspiron 14 but theres multiple inspiron 14’s.

This looks like the best value, i think im going to go with this one. All the other computers with the core processor cost at least $100 more

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba±+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive±+Black/1552571.p?id=1218268438309&skuId=1552571#BVRRWidgetID

I forgot about toshiba :rofl

Actually you should be pretty happy with it. Aside from the fact that when they do break their a pain in the cock. They tend to be quite durable, have had a lot of customers get tosibas and are quite happy with them.

Good to hear its durable that was my biggest worry. Otherwise it looks like performancewise it blows away everything else under $500

I would go with a Toshiba… I bought mine last year and have used it for traveling with no problems… powerful machine and long battery life… cannot ask for more.

ive always just built mine online from the manufature like dell or hp and they are like custom for you use it for and there alot cheaper

I went and got the Toshiba, I like everything but the old school keyboard. But I guess with all the performance it has for the price costs had to be cut somewhere.

This. i built my HP dv4 with Core i5/ 500gig HDD /4g ddr3 for under 550 through their website.
I dropped my laptop at a airport last summer and they gladly replaced it for free with upgraded windows 7

If i had a choice though, i would go for the toshiba…they are just far better interms of quality

i have an asus Eee PC netbook if you dont mind the lack of dvd/cd drive it is awsome, lightweight, compact, durable and solid performance and best of all it is around 300 so if it does break you just throw it away and buy another.

If you use it a lot… looking at an 8inch screen for more than 20-30 minutes will drive you insane…

Other than that they are great

Don’t be suprised if it dies in another year…

The ammount of HP motherboard that have gone dead over the past few years is ridiculous…

A shame really because I do like HP’s

My Toshiba’s screen failed in a little under a year. Whether or not freshman year college dorm shenanigans had anything to do with that failure, I’m not sure.

I have a Lenovo now. It’s nice.

/pjb

Lenovos are a great machine… Extremely durable if you spend a little more on them…

I had a lenovo when I worked at Vellano, thing saw hell and held up great… next to a panasonic toughbook lenovos are next on my list when it comes to durability

Im used to the keyboard already, this computer is much quicker, lighter, and clearly much better built than my old HP. This was $450 and the HP was $700 too, I guess some companies just cheap out where it counts.

Just had one die on my the other day… HP Motherboards FTL!

Lenovo is very durable… I deal with them for my DOT contracts, and the DOT guys are BRUTAL on their machines

I have been playing with the idea of getting a newer laptop also. I have a four year old Alienware right now. Dual Core, 1gb ram, and ati 1400x… I can either upgrade that some for cheap, or get something else. While looking around Sony, Lenovo, and newer Alienwares have caught my eye, and yes Im aware Dell owns them now. Anyways, how are MSi laptops? Mainly looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152213&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL120910&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL120910--EMC-120910-Index--LaptopsNotebooks-_-34152213-L0B

Havent personally dealt with MSi’s so I can’t give you a real answer, spec wise its alright.

From my experiance, stick with a well known brand, dropping almost a grand on something like an MSi or an Acer isnt worth the risk.

Just had a guy come in last week actually with an Acer gaming laptop. He spent 1100 on it, its not even 2 years old, but out of warranty and completely dead. Replaced the jack as a hail mary and most of the motherboard still isnt getting voltage.

Chances are if he spent a few hundred more for a compareable dell/alienware this would not have happend…

And this is not the first case like this I have seen.