Buying a Laptop Tips Anyone?

So I need a new laptop since my lifestyle is always “on the go” and its hard to get schoolwork done without one. My current one isn’t up to my standards with speed. I have been checking out ebay, Dell, and Gateway for pricing but overwhelmed with the information. I’m looking to spend up to $900 on one since I update my desktop/laptop every 3 years. Let me know if you guys have any good deals that you know of, or if any of you have purchased recently.

BTW - I’m selling my Gateway so check the classifieds! $150 obo takes it!

I’m not too " computer savy " BUT I would say ( with your price range in mind ) that going with a Dell would be smart. Of course, Dell isn’t nessecarily the best around, but it will definitely get the job done and be in your price range. GOOD LUCK

i hurd staples got a nice deal on them, they have 1 on speical last week i don’t know if it still is.

If you get a Dell, swing your way into getting a Latitude (only available through the business division). They are way better than the Inspirons.

Is the motherboard better?

viao or toshiba

hte sony look good but thats all i read good about them. I’m starting to explore some forums and I see the sonys have more problems than all the rest combined, but maybe becasue there are more of them? I don’t want to be biased in my decision.

not sure, but they are lighter, easier to work with, bigger screen, etc.

wait a few more weeks until all the back to school specials are on… dell practcally gives the computers away

I’m with Whitey…you CAN’T beat Dell’s special. I got a desktop w/ tons of extra’s for practically nothing and I LOVE IT! :bigthumb:

I picked up an acer travelmate 4200. I have no complaints with it whatso ever. 15.4 screen, dual 1.66ghz processor, 100 gig hdd, seperate video card (don’t remember the brand) 128mb, bluetooth, wireless internet card blah blah blah. I got it a couple of months ago and I honestly haven’t run into any problems with it. I use it for photo editing and also computer animation.

It doesn’t look as fancy as the hp’s, sony’s, or dell’s but for the performace you save about $500-600.

I paid a little over a grand for it after taxes from compusa. PS: don’t buy from them if they don’t have it in stock just go online to newegg.com. Compusa’s CS sucks balls. If you need info on the story I’ll tell post up later.

I think they are going on now. I entered RMU’s school code in and some of them were 34% off! I think I’m getting one of them. They are like 1200 reduced to 800

Then I’d go for it…thats definitely a good price. So what did you decide on??

I would go with a nIBM R51 or so,theya re what big corporate companys use and very depenble,i got mine for 200 used with dvd burner,1GIG,cd burner,800MHZ and so fourth,but i found a deal so they go for a lil more. But they are one of the best out there as of right now. Thinkpad is the model that is well known. Check out E-bay man.

Hmmm…looking for something a bit more for multimedia

IBM laptops suck big time… not sure what big biz you know that uses them still, but most have gone to Dell. No one can beat there pricing!

i saw on tv dell is having a sale

or someone is

399 for a new laptop

dell always has sales, i got mine last year for 800 shipped and it now lists (still) for 1200 i think + shipping

Interestingly enough, most of them use the same components / chassis.

I’d pay the extra $80 for the gold tech support. Yeah it’s a shameless plug, but wouldn’t you rather talk to me instead of india?

SOoo…I didn’t realize that the gold tech support was for a US tech!! haaha that is really funny how you have to pay to talk to someone w/in the same country:nuts: I hate getting an Indian rep. ( that picked his "american " name out of a hat when they hired them ) that is reading what to say off a screen when he/she takes my call!!! ARRRRRGGGG:bash: