Cobra or Viper

I think you guys are missing the point on how complex a pan of this type is.

And yea, for your info, I have 3 deposits for these systems. The original idea was to make it for myself, but others wanted something similar.

HotRodKid- Bingo. Finally someone figured out exactly what I am talking about. Nothing beats a dry sump… however with the complexity of the system and a few bad decisions, it was kept from going anywhere until I took it upon myself to redesign what needed to be, add some feature, get additonal componets made, make some changes, pull it together and market it.

can see how the galleries are machined into the pan bottom on this one …

lets see im probally a bad example but im 21(almost 22) i used to have a awesome job doing industrial machinery(got layed off) didnt do anything last year for a job after may. 19th, got a job at mazda as a mechanic in oct and i work there…i own a bunch of cars and im in debt(thats all, no special way to get a nice car) theres a bunch of other people on here that are in the same boat im sure and can afford there cars no problem along with a house and such…go to school…get a degree…go to work…pay for what you like…OR just know somebody in a corporation and get paid a lot for no schooling(just like politics…here bob be a supervisor of X…i dont know anything about X but for this money it wont matter) its about who you know first the degree ect comes second…at least this is the way ive seen things in the job field…this is the way im getting through life…plus my family has a business so i work there too since it will be mine eventually if i want. hell im thinking about ditching all my things(cars) except 1 of them and starting a business for myself and hopefully that will come true at the begining of 2007…this year im just working and selling all my stuff off to get out of debt and start my business…hope this helps

lol I’m willing to bet that at least 1/2 of the people on nyspeed is in dept up to their eye balls to have what they do… the rest have $$$/a buisness/ect (aka further along in life where they can afford the toys).

myself, I belong to the former lol :smiley: going on 25… do engineering/design work and cant afford shit :stuck_out_tongue: (on top of rent/car payment/insurance/food/modifications to the mustang/ect)

Well one thing that you might not realize, is that the age range on here goes from low teens to people in their 30’s and 40’s. Average age range is probably somewhere between 20-30, meaning people are getting paid well. Some people work their asses off and live home, some have really good paying jobs, others may have family money. The fact of the matter is that there is a variety here. Which is good :tup:

As an example: I owned an 01’ vette when i was 22 years old. Now since I have more debt, I drive an Avenger. Someday I’ll be back when I have my feet under me:)

You just need a good job and a loan and you can have a sweet car. I had a 99 corvette when i was 19 yrs old.

will any of these slopars be racing

mike, man I wish I had your dilemma :smiley: good luck on whatever you go with

well first thing is you gotta kill a few people. then get thrown in a slam where they tell you you’ll never see daylight again… lol

well you could be like most peopel on here with nice cars and be able to afford the payments. or buy nice within your price range and ahve no debt … the whole reason i got a earlier year corvette than a new z07 … i have no debt to worry about … ghetto rich is gay

i’d say keep the cobra, personaly i don’t liike the interior on the viper but i do think the body styling is awsome.

Thank you all, i didnt realize the age range was so vast on here. one of my cousins has a LOT of money to burn and i wish i had that, but hes 30 soo i got time

Buy this. :slight_smile: I plan on having one in the next 3-5 years
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Shelby-Ford-Factory-Five-Daytona-AC-Cobra_W0QQitemZ4601581675QQcategoryZ6465QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are 4 Daytona Coupes on ebay now. The most I’ve ever seen.

If not, then get the Viper :slight_smile:

If i was gonna go old, id have a '69 charger with a blown 426 hemi

lol

All this talk and I may not get one after all. Well, atleast not as soon as i would like. Went in to work today to get myself reinstated (finally, lol) and after seeing how slow this spring is going to be I realized I wouldnt be able to get the viper without having to dig into my house savings or taking out a small loan, neither of which I am willing to do for this car. So for the time being, the plan is to hang on to the Cobra and the parts, see how I am doing in a few months, and then re-evaluate what I will do then.

Worst case scenario I will put all the stuff on my car and drive it this year. (I know, horrible “worst” case scenario lol) Im still hoping that come spring I will just be able to sell my car and parts and get one, but if i cant just buy it outright, i wont do it. I am 26 and as much as I love playing with the cars, I refuse to put any of my other goals on hold so I could get a Viper. Not to mention whatever I decide, I want the car out this spring and i will NOT miss any opportunity this year to have the car out and go cruisin/racin/shows/etc. Besides, I think I would like to see what the KB will do on my car for a year, atleast then if i get rid of it I will know what it was capable and never wonder what it would do. :tup: So stay tuned, either way I will have something hawt out this year, just not quite sure what yet :smiley:

Awesome. If all else fails, at least it will be easier if not financially better to sell the Cobra/KB parts assembled rather than seperate when the time comes.

I dunno, I still stand that that is drastic overkill. I love overkilling things, don’t get me wrong, but there comes a point in time where the price/performance gap becomes to large, and you need to re-evaluate. There really, from the pictures, is nothing special about that pan. An oiling system is an oiling system, be it dry sump or a conventional type. The galleries can be made out of a conventional aluminum plate tig welded together. Once you have the whole assembly built, it is a simple process to get the pan o-ringed. Just mount it to a bridgport, indicate it in x/y, and cut the appropriate groove in it for the o-ring. The dry sump is mounted by making a bracket to be able to run it off the serpintine belt, and weld all the appropriate AN fittings on.

Shit, I almost make it sound simple, but it is indeed alot of work to make something like that. I would be more than willing to bet that they are charging you an arm and a leg because it is made from billet stock. Seems as though if it were a smarter company, they would weld all the pieces together and make the same thing, charge you the same price, and they just doubled their profit margin because they just cut their machine time to next to nothing, and eliminated the huge cost of the billet stock.

Gosh, I hate shit like this because I wish I had access to a bridgeport/welder/'bandsaw etc… I would build one for you, and for 1/2 the cost.

(Also as a note: Before someone flames me about anything, I am a Mechanical Engineer, however, that doesn’t mean I know everything, but I have been in manufacturing enough and worked in enough manufacturing environments to hopefully consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on things of this nature. Just keeping in mind as well, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Sometimes it is better to not over-complicate things as this dry sump system seems to be.)

Carry on…