DethWysh's 1996 S14 240 SX

They were cracking down on the beer thing last time Steve.

sucks

DON’T KILL IT FOR US RONALD

Hey I didn’t say anything about laying of the cocaine

all they were asking people to do was pour it in solo cups for some reason.

Another issue that you have to contend with is that the NYS NYVIP system ( the computer they plug our cars into to inspect) now reads VIN as part of the inspection. A few years ago you could scan a registration on a car with issues and just plug the machine into another one that was good, run the inspection and have it be a non issue. Not the case anymore its a 10k fine for any shop that has a tech do it. So the idea about swapping stickers or vehicles or anything like that is a bad one and could land you some major fines. It also adds to the list of questions for you to ask that company that wants to make you a harness. I don’t know if older Nissan’s have a function in the ECM memory that will let the NYVIP pull a vin, but if it does and it comes up wrong DMV will come looking for you. By that I mean literally come and find you and the vehicle and ask you. Which could lead to issues if you have a motor or engine control parts on the vehicle not approved for use in the states. Not saying I’m 100% right by any means, just want to let you know about stuff I’ve seen and run into working in the auto industry. Don’t want you to have more issues.

I’d heard about that, but as far as I know, the part about the VIN didn’t matter until later, I thought 96 was free, even if it was OBD-II.

Yeah, I’d heard about that, as far as I know, the JWT process makes the engine OBD-II. The VINs wouldn’t match, but thats true of any swapped car, and can’t some swapped cars still pass as long as the Generation of OBD is the same, and there aren’t any check engine lights?

With that box I posted you can program your VIN as well as other ID codes they use.

The car will pass the inspection no problem even if you plug in another vehicle. Where you will have a problem is DMV agents will come looking for the tech that did the inspection and in most cases the vehicle he/she inspected. They will scrape the sticker you were issued and tell you to get the vehicle inspected again. It happened accidentally at a quick lube I used to work at. There were 2 bays that the computer scanner would reach both had vehicles being inspected in them. Busy day a tech messed up and plugged the wrong vehicle in and the car left. A month later DMV is investigating the shop and the owner of the car that was inspected incorrectly. They went to his place of work looked over his truck without his knowledge and then made him come out unlock it and scrapped the sticker. So if your VIN isn’t right, DMV will come looking and possible scrape the sticker from your car and since yours looks like it’s been modified they might dig deeper. Not saying anybody they send will know enough to figure out what is what on the car and you can always tell them they can’t touch the car, but I’m not sure how well it could go for you. I’m just saying try and get all your ducks in a row.

^that’s not true. 96-00 have no vin reconition.

Which is what’d I’d heard, probably from GermanPSI…

Which if I understand it, means as long as a) the engine is throwing no codes, and b) the check engine light works/OBD Port is hooked up to the motor, everything should be copesetic.

The ecu does not store vin numbers unless it is a 2002 or newer

exactly. Best solution here is to buy kpro and force it to pass. Thats baller.

It’s a nissan

nice car, I was going to buy this a couple weeks ago. Thats when he wanted 7500 and wouldnt go any lower, then i see it in craigslist for 6k. Oh well ha

Update:I forgot about the Crank Position Sensor.

Originally Posted by JWT:

Note that there is one sensor code that would not be able to work with the SR flywheel and that is the OBD-II misfire crank sensor code which the KA had a sensor mounted and aimed at the flywheel ring gear to keep track of the speed of the ring gear teeth and look for any major variation which it might see as a misfire. We have seen some make a trigger wheel and mount to the back of the front crank pulley and make a bracket to mount the KA misfire detect sensor onto the front cover.

Then there is no point in doing any of this. One code means no inspection

Yup.

Dude pick up that box when it becomes available again, for $160 its worth a shot.

Thought you could have two not ready’s?

im guessing something such as a crank position sensor would be an instant CEL, not like anything emission related