Driving Impressions: C6 Corvette

So the vette finally came in and I took it out for a little spin yesterday.

First off, WTF GM build quality…The ashtray thing sticks like a mother fucker, the interior moldings on the door shake when the doors are closed, and the armrest storage area hinges and button are about as solid as water.

Interior feel: The driver position is very nice, everything is well within reach and your arms fall comfortably on the wheel. The wheel doesn’t feel as solid as it looks but is a good size. The push button door is a cool trick and it’s nice to have the FOB only starter.

Now onto the driving. This particular car was ordered w/ the Zwhateverthefuckitscalled performance package, and it’s an auto ( :frowning: ).

Anyway, the low speed steering feel is the most disconnected piece of crap I’ve ever driven. Seriously. The power steering is so loose at low speeds it’s almost hard to drive.

The get-up-and-go is obviously there and acceleration feels very linear and smooth. The 6 speed automatic shifts surprisingly quickly. I was actually surprised at the quick response when using the excellently placed “paddle” shifters on the wheel (it would be nicer IMO if right side was gear up, left gear down both being pulled instead of up push, down pull). When not in “manual” mode the sport mode has trouble keeping the RPMs up through a turn. Regular “D” mode works nicely for smooth starts from lights but is a little sloppy making 90 deg low speed turns. The gearing of the 6spd automatic is close to a typical manual as you would assume. Braking feels pretty good, the performance brakes are fairly large and get the job done without fuss.

I played around with different transmission and suspension settings (TC off, competitive driving mode, and active handling mode – the standard setting) Comp. driving mode was pretty solid, but not too much different than the standard mode…I’m sure a bigger difference would be noticed on an Auto-x course though. With traction control off the car feels tight as long as your speed is high enough to get a solid input feel from the overly sissy power steering.

Around the town driving is comfortable w/ the sportier suspension, which was fairly surprising.

Road noise is minimal and interior exhaust note is great when it’s wanted.

Overall, I’d say it’s a solid car. Low interior build quality is annoying but as long as the go pedal is kept close to the floor you don’t notice it as much. From the exterior the car looks amazing (Le Mans blue w/ polished wheels) its stance is super aggressive and the 18/19 wheels look great.

Take it to NYI get a bone stock track time :slight_smile:

Does the interior quality really suprise you though. That’s always seemed to be GM’s achilles heel. Most everything else on a performace car of theirs can be good to great quality, but the interior feels like it was made by parts bought at the Dollar Store. :gotme:

Seriously though, the fucking ashtray doesn’t work properly, it’s a clip and a spring…how do you not get that right? Esp since this is the first vette with a decent looking radio & hvac interface…how do you fuck up an ashtray…

nice writeup

Who cares about the ashtray?? Do you smoke while driving on a road course…or knocking off some 12sec 1/4 passes…

That was a question aimed at everyone else…not you Joe because I know you would…

its the fact that u just bought a 40k car and they cant get an ashtray or whatever to function properly

Maybe it needs to be broken in?

Yeah those fucking bastards couldn’t get the ashtray to work right for 40G. Well, at least they managed to get the 400 HORSE MOTOR right! I mean maybe they could have made a perfect interior right out of Starship Enterprise and skimped on the performance. That way everyone would be happy right? I love when people bash the best bang for the buck car ever built. :rolleyes:

or they could work a little harder on simple tolerances for the shit and get it right

might bug you too if you were willing to pay 40K for a car and the interior was built Almost as good as a fox body

read any robust design books and you will understand why american cars have a lesser build quality. but at the same time if you would have a better interior and same performance you would be in the porsche ball park

I don’t know why some people are getting so mad. Just because this Vette had some problems, doesn’t mean they all do.

Getting a simple push in fold out ash tray to work wouldn’t increase the price 10K… I’m not saying the car is shit because of it, I’m saying it’s annoying and it’s a problem that doesn’t need to be there. They don’t need merc or porsche interior design, but what you do design should fucking work properly.

I’m sure the ashtray was outsourced. Perhaps a GM design but not GM produced. Could be a supplier issue. I also wonder if that issue is particular to your vette in particular or all vettes in general.

it wasn’t directed at you, i would take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. it was directed at the people that comment about the interior build quality, The cheaper you want to make a car the more noise you will have in teh manufactouring process, its a natural thing hence why civics have an ok interior but lack luster performance

fixed

Its funny because Top Gear said the same thing about the ashtray…For the Gillardo (sp?).

Uh, a civic = an economy car

corvette = flagship performance car

:bloated:

read anything about the Taguchi Method and you will understand the reference.

great write up and i couldnt agree more with you joestypes about american interior build quality:tdown: