F body guys...

I wanted to save up and eventualy buy a new engine for my car (350 swap) but will I still be decently quick with heads/intake/carb/cam on a 305? I just wanna be 12s NA.

dont bother

get a 350, or just man up and drop a 454 in there …

Do the 350. There are very limited choices on performance 305 heads, due to the small bores not being able to handle bigger valves.

My mechanic has a 377 laying around in perfect shape, with a set of 2.02 fuelys or what not

Ok cool thanks guys. I was just wondering and I didint know if the 305 could handle it. It will be a while…but damn I cant wait till I’m done. As far as heads and stuff go, what will give me the most power for my money? I know AFR is like the best, but its also 2k per head. How are Dart Iron Eagle or Edelbrock Vortec?

:crap: :cjerk: :ham: :repost: :whogives: :blah: :roll:

do it, mucho power. 400 block with a 350 crank… Power

Jeg, ya its dumb. But if you really wnat. mike72678 has told me he had a 305 camaro, and got it to run 12’s back in the day with bolt ons.

Or reverse it and go 350 with a 400 crank… 383 yum.

afr’s are not 2k per head …you can do it with a 305 but the 350 is better…if you have any cash laying around i have a chevy van with a 350 and a turbo 400 tranny that runs mint that you could drive in the winter if you want…then pull all of it in the spring and put it in the f-bod…let me know thanks

Go with a 350.My engine is mostly stock and yet the car knocked off a 13.1 when I had it at NYI.9:1 compression,Edelbrock Air Gap intake,Edelbrock Cam,Stock 1973 76cc truck heads (nothing special).With a good set of heads and a beefier cam i’d be mid-low 12’s no doubt.

AFR’s are great.The heads/brands you mentioned are all decent and more importantly you should research picking out a good i/h/c combo.

Don’t piss away your money on a 305. The 350’s have so many more options and potential.

:lol: He quoted himself. But I have to agree. Those are nice motorz. Loves the 377. THey like to spin. :slight_smile:

If you dont have the $ for a 350, then only buy parts for the 305 that will later fit your 350. Like gsx said, score an old 350/th400 combo, then buy heads when you have the money. Hell if you score an LT1 with computer, then you are only a cam and exhuast from 12s. If you cant afford the 350 right now, dont worry about the point of needing AFRs yet, there will be plenty of other costs of the swap to cover first.

Oroc’s 383, and be done :slight_smile:

:word: I don’t have the money to do anything right now, but I was wondering because my dad has a Chevy 1 ton dump truck that broke the frame. The engine has, I believe, like 40ish k on it, but it was his daily driver also so only like 12-15k are “hard” miles (if even that much). He said he will sell it to me for like $400. I want to do a swap and do a top end rebuild. Edelbrock sells some nice SBC top end kits for like $1200-$1400 (heads, intake, carb, all gaskets/bolts). I wasn’t really sure if it would even be worth doing anything to the 305 and my dad was asking me if I still wanted the engine from it. I’m not sure what sizes of anything to get, I was j/w which would be better.

if you mention getting an edlebrock carb again, I will fly up there just to kick you in the testies

:lol: dude I know like NOTHING about carbs. I’m still rather new at the car stuff. I understand how it works, but why how. Like I know how an engine works from top to botom, but dont ask me how each part works. I know what they do but now how they do it. If tht makes sense. What is a good carb setup?

Ive heard really good things about Demons. but dont hold me to it.

I have heard good and bad things about them. I’ve heard that they are a bitch to get tuned right, but once they are they work awsome. But again, just hearsay, I have no fuckin clue about carbs.