WHAT TO DO WITH THE 350

IM GOING TO BE UNDERGOING A 305TBI TO 350 4BBL CARB SWAP NOW IM NOT GOING TO LIE I REALLY DONT KNO HOW TO DO THIS AND I KNOW THERE ARE ALOT OF WEBSITES THAT TELL HOW. IM SUPPOSED TO GET THE MOTOR IN ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO AND THEN IM SENDING IT TO A MACHINE SHOP. AS OF RIGHT NOW THE MOTOR IS THE 350 BORED .40 IT HAS ROLLER ROCKER ARMS AND IM GETTING A RACING CAM (NOT SURE WHAT KIND) IS THERE ANY ADVICE THAT SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME AS FAR AS HOW TO DO IT OR PARTS THAT I SHOULD GET FOR IT. I HEARD DOME PISTONS WILL WORK GREAT WITH THIS MOTOR BUT IM NOT SURE

Oh boy where to even begin. 1st I’d say take about 6 months and read. Yes it sounds shitty but perhaps learning the basics of engines would help you to figure out where you’re headed. I really doubt the swap is that “hard” but you definitly don’t want to just go by what you “heard will work great” on the internet. You will find it much more rewarding to actually know what you’re talking about and understand what you’re doing when you build the motor and swap it into the car.

Also, easy with the caps no need to shout.

PM Speedped

lol i better not receive any pms

ya i have been looking for awhile to see what i really want to do. thats why im going to be going with the 350 becuase i want to keep it on the road without going from gas station to gas station but still able to get up and go.i mean i know what im doing as far as putting the engine in but the wireing is what i kinda dont wanna do i aint good with that shit. btw does anyone know waht nys expects as far as smog emissions becuase i kno the motor doesnt have anyof that on it but the stock 305 does. i belive it is 96 and up has to pass smog but im not positive thats just what i read.

“YOU CAN USE MY OFFICE THEN AFTERWARDS MAYBE WE CAN GO TO LUNCH”

^ :lol: the man the myth the legend

OMG STOP YELLING! Do some research. The best advice i can give you is to build the whole thing, not just piece “deals” together. It’s IMPORTANT that all components match well.

^ OT… i’ll be in Vegas tonight if you want to meet up.

What kind of car is this going in? I would assume a Chevy 1500, Caprice, Camaro/Firebird, or a Monte SS. But you really need to educate yourself on the basics at least before making any decisions on your engine combo. That being said you still have tons of time to read. Search and read, buy a book or two or three. Learn or you will regret it.

I always think of that scene when I read all caps posts.

LOUD NOISES!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Dont get a “race cam” thats not smart. I’m guessing some older guy told you that. Most ol timers will tell you about 750double pumpers, 305H Comp Cams, 3/4race cams, a R.V. cam. Dont listen to them, either ask alot of questions on here (without caps lock on) and we can get you a good running engine.
So, first off from what I’ve read you havent told us what car you have.
2nd; for inspection, '96+ get plugged into a computer to check for codes, not “smog checked”.
3rd, to be “legal” you will need to have everything emmisions-wise your car came with. Some…most shops will let certain things slide. Also, a FYI probably less than 5% will let you vehicle slide without a catalitic covertor, besides nowadays most cat conv. are not that restrictive.
You can PM me if you want, I’d dont mind helping people, I was a beginner once too.

If you have the cash, buy a crate motor from GM (ZZ350?). They come already dyno’d, from carb to pan, a real HP #, not “it should put out…HP” I know the up front $ is up there but after you go through the used motor, try this & that & you still get beat by a colbalt, It’ll save a ton of headaches & cash in the end. If that’s way over your budget, go to Summit , Jegs, Edelbrock, etc & look up the complete small block power packages they sell, Some include intake, cam, lifters, carb, heads. That way you get a matched set that has been tested & proven to make the HP numbers you are looking for.

BADGPGT, this is not true. If your vehicle is over 25 years old you can rip all the emisions shit off you car and it will still pass. Emissions in NYS go away after a car turns 25 years old. I was originally under the same impression as you, but I later discovered that’s not the case.

As far as switching from fuel injector to carb all you need to do is cut and cap your fuel injection wire. No real rocket science involved. You may need to get adaptors to hook your fuel lines to the new carb.

The only problem you may get from this setup is a resonating echo from your exhaust header oxygen sensor. I don’t know how to cure that; however, others that I know run this type of setup and have learned to accept it as a necessary consequence.

In addition, if the vehicle you’re putting this setup on has an ECU that cuts fuel supply to prevent over-revving, that feature will be disabled by this setup. The consequence will be valve-float at the higher RPM’s.

Im pretty sure they still need wht they came with. When I get my 78 Malibu inspected, they make sure it has a catalitic converter. I guess it depends on how stringent the inspection station is. I know the places that I go are pretty leanient with my malibu BUT, at the least they wont let it go without the cat. Hell, Cole Muffler wouldnt put a true dual with 2 cat.s on my wagon because their words “you cannot modify the diameter or design of the exhaust system.” I asked them if they knew how many cars are out there with different exhaust. :rolleyes2: