Tuneup question...

I have a stock cabed 305 H.O. My question is this. I was going to put in a K&N air filter and upgrade the spark plugs and wires. I replaced them all last year but with chiepies. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the K&N and like (for example) MSD 8.5mm plug wires etc? And what else can I do for a tune up besides changing fluids?

You wouldn’t see much of a difference.I’d change the plugs maybe once a year or if they’re fouled,always used Autolites and my 355 ran good.Wires should be still good.

Removal of pollution control parts
Exhaust/Headers
Intake Manifold
Better Carb
Gears
Cam

Thats what I’d do,probably in that order.I dont think the k&n is worth the price unless you can get it cheap.

[quote=“Jon,post:2,topic:26380"”]

You wouldn’t see much of a difference.I’d change the plugs maybe once a year or if they’re fouled,always used Autolites and my 355 ran good.Wires should be still good.

Removal of pollution control parts
Exhaust/Headers
Intake Manifold
Better Carb
Gears
Cam

Thats what I’d do,probably in that order.I dont think the k&n is worth the price unless you can get it cheap.

[/quote]

truth to all ^^ get rid of all of your emmisions shit some nice budget bolt ons would wake that motor up

bit offtopic, would 305 TPI heads bolt onto a 305 TBI block?

cuz if so, seriously, cheap, and theyll do a world of good http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/305-TPI-heads-230-HP_W0QQitemZ170093797739QQcategoryZ33617QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

get some nice heads for that poor motor :tup:

How much of a hp/tq increas would heads do on a 305? To my understanding a 305 isnt worth the work really, I just wanted to give it a little more performance. Thats why I wanted to go 327 or 350, but cant afford it right now.

Hrmm i just noticed that both the tbi and TPI heads have 58cc ports.

would there be any gains for upgrading to the TPI heads?

[quote=“ImportMuscle,post:5,topic:26380"”]

Hrmm i just noticed that both the tbi and TPI heads have 58cc ports.

would there be any gains for upgrading to the TPI heads?

[/quote]

Combustion chamber size has nothing to do with port size.

I was figuring they were higher compression…

so basically, those heads, a decent cam and intake, and youll be set for some good gains that will make the car decently quick.

doo it!

FWIW: Car Craft has a tech article with a carb’ed 305 wagon (like mine ~was~) They put a 100-150shot of N2O on it and got what they wanted from a lowly 305.
But, since ur talkin about a just a tune up…I’d get plugs (maybe one range colder than stock and bump the timing a bit, stock is waaay conservitive) …just because, and wires…they could be fine (check resistance in the wires) or get some aftermarkets…AC Delco are good stuff, got em on my wagon and my GP.
Flush the coolant, if u dont mind changing it again in the fall…I’d wait till may or june and use straight distilled water with Water Wetter. Pop in a 180 degree T-stat if thats in question. Use Mobile 1 10W30 or SAE30 syn.
Oh, and get the K&N it makes the car sound louder when u get on it if not anything else :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Keep in mind that what I’m about to post comes from general knowledge, not specific knowledge to your motor, so take it with a grain of salt. :slight_smile:

That tractor motor got a distributor? If so a new cap and rotor will probably run you a whopping $10 bucks and are typically part of a normal tune up. If your wire aren’t crossfiring on a stock 305, just pretend you upgraded to MSD wires and you’ll get the same placebo performance increase.

I’d bet that a 350 swap wouldn’t cost you much more time and money than a head swap.

Autolites are crap, but +1 to colder plugs and bump the timing. NGK >* Just make sure you don’t advance it so far you ping your motor to death.

For <$50 you could rip out the air box and clamp a K&N cone to the MAF for at least some fun extra sound, if not a little more airflow.

Changed the fuel filter recently? Run a can of seafoam through the tank? Pour a can of seafoam down the intake to clean out some carbon?

Yeah I definatly have to change the fuel filter and I am going to take out the cat and throw on a straight pipe.

the cat on mine that was identical except for the T5 was madddd restrictive once i got a 350 in there. meh, i dunno man.

there’s a lot of things at play here. that 200r4 tranny & rearend weren’t made to handle a whole lot of power. beyond heads, i really wouldn’t push stock stuff on there too much. and if you’re thinking about an engine swap, what have you - just get out before you get too deep into it, and get an LT1 4th gen f-bod. i had my '84 H code trans am in the late 90s when LT1s were still untouchable (to me), but they’ve dropped so much in value that they are a fucking steal if you want a fast f-body. the gas price overall with the carb, ugh… man - it’s going to be a money pit. you will NEVER see money back out of that car that you put into it, i promise you. you will never see the performance out of it that you would have if you just cruised this thing, saved $$ (maybe 3500-5k) for a decent LT1, and not kick yourself in the ass.

cliffs: just drive it, maybe do a head swap - vortecs would be great :slight_smile: anything further, ditch the car and get an LT1.

I have a 700R4 tranny

id put a nice cam intake and decent carb in it maybe msd to start and rip off all the emission shit

would I have to pull the engine for a cam?

[quote=“JEG,post:14,topic:26380"”]

would I have to pull the engine for a cam?

[/quote]

Probably not.

I heard world makes a good set of 305 heads but I think its a poor investment because you can find a 350 that already puts out more for less money than a 305 with the heads,lol.

When I was searching google for decent 305 heads I came across this post,should help you out.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/best-305-build-64124-2.html

EDIT Here is another good one…

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/carcraft325hp305.html

stick to the shit you know off the top the more work you part out with the more its going to cost. do a cap, rotor, plugs,wires,oil change,air filter, a PCV valve,air filter, gas filter,check all the fluids,and replace as necessary.

[quote=“sickmach,post:16,topic:26380"”]

stick to the shit you know off the top the more work you part out with the more its going to cost. do a cap, rotor, plugs,wires,oil change,air filter, a PCV valve,air filter, gas filter,check all the fluids,and replace as necessary.

[/quote]

Yeah thats what I was thinking…but wasnt sure if there was anything else I could do that would really make a differance that wasnt too expensive or hard to do.

[quote=“JEG,post:12,topic:26380"”]

I have a 700R4 tranny

[/quote]

if that’s all you can respond with, then good luck with that thing

[quote=“ly555is,post:18,topic:26380"”]

if that’s all you can respond with, then good luck with that thing

[/quote]

:lol: I was ust clearifying…I doint know the differance between a 200r4 and a 700r4…I know like nothing about trannys.

:rofl:

bit OT vortec heads are almost perfect castings of TPI heads, correct?