chevy 305 upgrades?

I have a 91 Camaro with a 305 TBI. its a 5 spd with 3.08:1 rear end gear ratios. I’m trying to squeeze some more power out of it for a low price(and possibly better milage). I already have shorty headers and better exhaust on (stock cat though). I opened the top of the air cleaner so it can pull air in better through a shaker scoop. I’m just wondering what other people have done to make these engines more efficient. Please dont tell me to drop a 350 in it, this 305 runs well and i have a spare (i was nieve and new to cars, it was supposed to be a 350, when infact it was a 305 with a 350 sticker on it-i’ve learned since then), and I dont want to try finding a computer to match the car to run a 350 and the airbag. i heard about someone stroking a 305, how pricey is that and what kind of parts are needed to accomplish this? and is it even worth it with reguards to power or milage? thanks for your help.

look on JEGS.com for ya 305 shiet

generally speaking, you don’t get more power AND better gas mileage.

hmmm, well if you want to make power its not going to be cheap either way. Your best bet is probably going with a newer smallblock (ls1?) even though you already said you didn’t want to go that route.

I’m sure a set of aftermarket heads and a cam would do wonders, but not sure on how cheap they are and, especially if you want to stroke it, your probably better off going with a new motor. Your gains will be larger, and you’ll start with more power than the 305 is making.

I’m pretty sure they make conversion kits too, so it’ll take most, if not all of the guess work out of it.

I did headers/4 bbl carb/edelbrock intake/comp cam and my 305 ripped

Spent like 500 bucks on everything

Generally speaking, headers and a nice 3" exhaust will get you an extra mile or two and give you better performance. As with my LG4 in my 86 Z28.

^lol i remember that when it was dark blue with a 4 speed fun times!

Hellz yea fellow built 305 owner :tup:

I have a 305…I’m not impressed with it. It has good torque, dont get me wrong…the low en tq on those are pretty nice…But I picked up a 350 block. Figured with around the same amount that it would cost me to rebuild my old 305, I can rebuild a 350 and have more powa.

But yeah back on topic, heads/cam/intake/exhaust and a custom chip will do you wonders.

350>305 3.73>3.08

^depends on your power band, and goals for the car.
for some people and some builds a 3.08 or 3.23 works better than a 3,73 because the motor spends more time in its powerband with the 3.08/3.23.
I think sherm did this with his old car.

You’d pick up some power with a cam change, which would be reasonable cost. Other than that dont go modding a 305 too much- its just not worth the cost.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/chevrolet/0667_phrs_305_chevy_engine_blocks/index.html

do this + 100 shot :wink:

• 3.73 or 4.11 gears
  • 1.6:1 COMP Magnum roller tip rockers (more lift out of stock cam)
  • Custom PROM
  • K&N filter
  • High flow bullet cat
  • Edelbrock TBI intake manifold
  • USED TPI intake manifold and convert stock wiring with custom PROM
  • COMP camshaft - flat tappet
  • Vortec IRON heads w/edelbrock vortec intake

That was a great read :tup:

engine masters is one of my favorite magazines even though i dont have a single car with a V8 lol.

Brian

yeah I have a few of them…great reads for sure. I got a 305 in my car now and a 350 block sitting on my porch lol. It’s heavy as fuck and I don’t feel like carrying it anywhere. From my car to the porch is good enough for me lol.

gears, spray.

If I had changed out my intake manifold I would have been fine…but a loose 4000 stall + 3.73s = really high shift extension and I was out of my power band…I could have dialed in the shift points lower but its a whore lol

everything is a whore on old 305s. All the emissions bullshit on them robs a lot of power, and makes workin on them that much more of a pain in the ass lol.