What to do?

I got ahold of a 350 carburated engine with 37k miles on it. I was thinking about making it a winter project and goin 383. but I dunno…that will be mad$$. What would be more bennificial? keeping it a 350 and throwing in heads/cam/blah blah, or doing a rebuild and making it a 383 and doing the same. My goal is around 400rwhp na. I would like to be in the 12s. If i feel the need to make it alot faster after that so Be it…but For now thats my goal. If I can whip people on the street and do decent on the track Ill be happy.

heads, cam, supporting mods and spray

what rear gears do you have? did you decode the RPOs on it yet?

thats what I was thinking, Its just easier for now. The engine is out of my dads dump truck that busted the frame. so he is selling it to me for $400. can’t pass it up. only has 37K on it.

cubes don’t add much power, if your looking for less thatn 400 ponies, then toss some heads, cam, carb, intake, nitrous and have fun. keep the rpms low so you don’t lose a rod and wipe out the heads.

400rwhp out of a carb’d 350 means you’d have to be putting down almost 500 at the crank,however you don’t need that much HP to be in the 12’s.

im with Pass McGrass on this one,I think you could even pull off some high 12’s without the spray depending on other variables.

make sure you have like $2k in teh bank, then start modding. Trust me, ive learned my lesson…

put some $ into a car, go broke doing so, then a week later while rowing through the gears, POP! see you later tranny…

:tdown: to whole idea

dont buy that 350, its a waste of 400 bucks. fix ur tranny first so u can park it., or fix the tranny and spend that 400 in a used wet kit and blow up the car.

1st get outta debt
2nd get some cash in the bank
3rd after ~year or more, start thinking about goin fast.

^^^

Don’t be a fool, that engine is probably as beat as that truck. Fix it first, learn the basics work from there. Never mod your DD unless you can afford to blow it up, or have a backup car (ex. Not your mom’s minivan).

Hold off, I’m still thinking about selling my car it has a 383.

:slight_smile:

His car is already slow why buy another one…

If you were to go 383 you still need supporting mods…like heads…carb…

Fix your tranny first…you can get SBC Chevy parts everywhere…for cheap search around.

rebuild first, learn about the motor, make it reliable first, than start modding

dont waste your$

carbureted engine?

for what it’s worth, i’d just use this as a DD bro, get used to regular maintenance shit, stuff you’ve been doing so far

with gas about 3/gallon, i wouldn’t wanna make any long-range plans around a carb’d engine. if i were going to mod something, i’d at Least start off with an LT1 engine for the injection’s gas mileage and driveability

and whatever you put in that car, unless if you part it out someday - will Never be worth as much as even one of the '85 & up f-bodies that’re built more strong anyways

i like these cars, but i’d honestly not bother with modding it hardcore. just drive it and save your $$ for something a little more driveable

Personally I’m an EFI fan myself, but there is nothing wrong with a good carbed setup. Besides he doesn’t need to be learning how to wire a fuel injection system in yet. That a heck of a job. :wink:

Wait is this your only car? If so go buy a $400 beater before u start messing with this car.

Alota good points guys…appreciate the advice. I am not going to do this anytime soon if I do. Its just ideas for what to do when i do start. i dont wanna jump into something head fist and fuck it up. I’m thinkin cam and 75 shot on the engine I got now will be fine for this summer. Next year I wanna do something though.

ugh make sure the car is right…before u spray it.

I got a 350 LT1 plus a 4 speed auto trans sitting in my conversion van, $1000 takes it all. They run good and smooth.

Wow, I didn’t know you drove my car, how did you know it was slow?