Misunderstanding? Engine build.

About replies to the http://www.n-e-c-c.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8175 thread that I created; adminds please do not take this as a flaming topic as im explaining my setup.

Apologies for posting in the wrong section and for “acting like a 14 year old?”, but I am shocked at the immaturity of some of you. I can understand that some of you are sick of kids talking about engine swap builds for there $2000 rust bucket that they just bought with their allowance money. And maybe I should have gone more indepth with what my build consisted of. I apologize, but before you guys attack someone that you dont even know, please ask.

For those that think it was a joke, I am dead serious and maybe I posted on the wrong forum to get some support and opinions.

But Im talking to the owner at GT Motorsports in California, and am going to have them build a VQ35DE short block for me. They just came out with a Darton Sleeved 4.2L stroke kit for the 350’s 3.5L engine with over engineered crankshaft, pistons and rods, which im going to run at anywhere form 8.5 - 9:1 compression. Ill be ordering a ARP main stud kit and headbolts from a different company and building the top end of the engine when it gets here. Im glad that I am not doing this until the start of the summer since im waiting to see exact numbers that they will be pulling on their shop 350z. No way I feel its neccesary to 800+rwhp, lol. And for the record, this will be a project, with different upgrading stages.

Once I have engine stroked and built, im going to be installed the following:

APS TT Kit
APS 3.5 D/P’s
APS 3" Exhaust
APS Plenum
Koyo Radiator
RC 750/850 cc injectors
Blitz dual Drive BOV
Nismo Thermostat
Unitech or Fcon

Have clutch, diff, gears, axels and suspension pretty much figured out, but will most likely find something better, more affordable and just as good by next year, because it is a while away.

One of the reasons I was posting the idea, is because I am unfamiliar with good tuning/dyno shops in Edmonton. Which would be the easiest place to get it done since im moving there end of February and was going to look for some help from you guys, since after being on the forum and reading what you guys have to say, I respect your opinions for information.

With 600+rwhp, im hoping that with strong enough transmission gearing and diff/axels, with some slicks, it can go low 10s. When I went down to Texas this summer, I seen some pretty fast Z’s that were doing high/low 11’s and one guy that ran a 10.84, which was amazing. I also seen people and seen a video or two with guys maxing out there tranny’s until bent and ripped to shit.

The reason why I picked a 350z instead of dropping all this money into something like a GTR or 240 and make it ridiculously fast, because I want something newer, as much as I will always love my 240, I was going to buy a new vehicle just for the new car feel. So this is why I chose to do so. And also to do something unique that you dont need a whole lot…a TT 350z.

As for the comments, "I bet you just got a part-time job and you think you have all of the money in the world. " and “hmmm…this sounds like one of them 14yr olds that like to play i got money.” I can understand where you are coming from, but this is entirely not the case. I am not mad at anyone for bashing me like that, just kind of shocked that people wouldnt first figure out what my real intentions are for. But then again, I just didnt think of sounding like a jerk off haha, cause I probably would have reacted the same way. I would still like opinions and comments on the build from anyone who is willing to take this as a serious post and not mock me.

Btw if you guys want, I can show you 350z that are running ~550whp on stock blocks. Not really suggested, but VQ35’s are really starting to get high whp possibilities. Only issue is traction. But as you know, cheap cant be in your vocab when going high boost.

Thanks!
Matt

Maybe this should have been in your first post.

There are alot of 14 year old that are internet loosers.

But go introduce yourself in the into forum and lets go from there.

If you want to start a new topic in tech go ahead, just explain yourself and you plans in more detail so it does not look like a newb.

Not 600WHP Z33. How do i do this? but maybe just asking what people think of your set up

Best of luck to ya! Z33’s are wicked.

ahhh i see you met the “regulars,” or the main reason I keep to the FWD section…

Sounds like you know what your doing, should be a nice build…

oh man, i missed it , didnt even get to flame!

you could see if cosworth will give up a VQ35HR as well. it is the new VQ that’ll show up in the infiniti line up next year, and is a great starting point.

i’ve been reading up a bit on the VH45, and it too looks like a good platform to start. now, some people say it’ll handle 800HP on the stock block, but i’m hesitant to believe so. the VH is an older engine, but has lots of potential twin turboed.

for tuning in edmonton, i have no idea. we have a couple dynos here in winnipeg, and i assume they’re all the same: they can tune anything as long as they can read the instructions. :smiley: one shop here has done everything from alcohol drag cars to street legal 9 second cars and turbo powered 4 cylinders. go with the shop with the most experience and you can’t go wrong.

Hmm that could be a good idea too, the idea of being new though would worry me, i know lots of guys who are experienced with the VQ35 but i cant see it being much different. With a stroker kit, it’ll be near 4.5L anyways and also all forged. But im really interested to see how it would hold up. As for the VH, ive heard tell of someone messing around with that and found you really need to find one thats in really good shape, aswell as there is a larger weight difference if im not mistaken. You can basically take anything and stroke it, build it etc, just a matter of preference.

Ive driven in a 450whp and 520whp Z. Pretty awesome feeling, although you can get that in any car with enough money haha. But the APS kits aswell as some custom GReddy TT kits have really good lag response compared to others like SFR which have two huge turbo’s that dont kick in till like 4000rpms and i find it kind of useless.

Here is a picture of a Z with a full APS kit and forged internals. You cant see the turbos on the VQ35’s since there is no room ontop and are placed underneath on each side. Hoping to have a setup somewhat to this.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/8163/cimg0098xe2.jpg

A rebuild will be the way to go if you want more than 400 HP off a VQ35, after 400 you will be playing witgh fire. Stoking a VQ to 4.5 litre…What would the redline be on that??? I think there is more potential in the 4.5 V8.

Well potential being if i wanted to go past 800whp, and i really dont see that happening, atleast next year. And also the people im dealing with for rebuild is very experienced with VQ35DE’s (not that they wouldnt be with the 45) just the fact that they send me a new rebuilt short block and i send them back the core when i put the engine back together. And i get money back for exchange. Wouldnt be a big deal if i sent them the VQ45 Sblock but i dont need an entire engine. I just feel good about being able to run lower boost for higher hp gains compared to a 3.5L.

Also the V8 will be heavier, as well as more pistons, rods, and there is the whole fact of sticking with something v6 ^_^.

My question is do you actually have the 80K or so that its going to take to achive your goals. In all honesty thats a lot of money by edmonton standards. Very few cars have that kind of money invested into them. I think that your unrealistic for thinking you can talk someone down 6 grand.

That said, It shouldn’t be overly hard to achive your goals. It would be interesting to see, thats for sure.

This is the way I am looking at this.

Buying the car is going to cost you at least $30,000.00 you could likely find it cheaper in the states.
Engine Build will be between $15,000.00 and $30,000.00 after its all said and done and how you end up doing it.
Suspension (if its high quality) will cost you at least $3000.00 likely closer to $6000.00 once its done.
Fuel Management and Tuning will be $1000 give or take
APS Turbo kit $10,000 - $14,000

The car will need a new rear end for sure, upgraded clutch, you might as well do a lightwieght flywheel. Guages, wideband, labor if your not going to do the installs your self. Do you see where I am going with this. If you have the money thats cool. But for the majority of the public its completely unrealistic to think they can just drop that kind of money on a car that will only be used for about 6-8 months a year. What are you planning to use the car for once its complete. I guess I am just trying to see what your goals are for the car once its going to be completed.

My problem with your previous post, and even this post is that it is just plans. I think i speak for all of us when i say that Plans change…how many peoples cars actually turned out how they planned them to, for the same price, and in the same amount of time? No one.

So many people “plan” to buy stuff that never gets done. This is the same thing, you dont have a single thing bought for this car, or even the car to put the stuff on. You can kick tires all you want and say that your gonna have this car, but actions speak louder than words.

It just seems attention whoreish to me to come on here talking about all this stuff you will have and plan to do when you haven’t even started spending money yet.

Anyway, if the car does work out exactly as you say, more power to you, and I will drool over the car, but if it doesnt, which it most likely wont, dont be mad when i say I told ya so… :partyman:

I totally agree with you Chris and I wouldnt expect it any other way, more or less for me to actually stick to my plans. And I know for sure that my plans will change, especially the kind of kit ill be using. Example of im not sure it is neccesary for a stroker kit to ahieve 600whp and found that they I still want this as a daily drive and have no need for that much. Hell, i might even stay in the high 500 marks. Projects always take time, as we all know very well haha. But planning really early never hurt.

Variable- i would never spend 80k when i could buy a used 911 turbo or something haha. Im looking at just under 5k for rebuild with shipping (thats not stroker kit, if i want stroker kit rebuild, because of boreing cost, it’ll be about 10k for small block). But im thinking just a solid forged internals small block rebuild is perfect. Aswell as I have priced out cars in Canada and the states. I think getting one from the states is a good idea, seeing as i can get them low kms with 10 - 50k for like 22k - 24k CAD. Turbo kit with plenums etc will run around 10k in the end. But also looking at a different setup, that might be more cost efficient.

Anyways, I would never ask someone how much they spent on their car and mods, but Im still all talk, so Chris is right about that. Ill just post pics when i get engine rebuild sent up. So you can lock thread.

Well everyone starts out somewhere. When you start to get serious let me know, I have yet to take a shot at working on a 350. I am always up for something new.

u dont need much for the VQ to output good power…i would say your best option would be to read this article…yah yah i know it superstreet, but ive seen, and heard this car in person and it halls…

here’s more info on the VQ35HR (it seems like a completely different engine): http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/september06/vq35hr/

^^^I like that article, makes me wonder about my truck.

Quoted form the article

This beefy lower end was first seen on the heavy duty VQ40DE motors used in the Pathfinder and Frontier trucks. The crank is beefed up as well, featuring the larger rod and main bearing journal diameters of the heavy duty VQ40DE truck engine.

Man dont even worry bout the ignorant comments people jump on you with. There are some real pricks on these forums im not gonna lie, and even more people who claim to know what they are talking about and dont. You did the right thing going to american knowledge on this instead of taking the advice of a bunch of under 30’s who may have built one turbo car in their life and think they have seen it all. If you want this car bad enough, then just work the riggs for a year and then make it happen.

than why da fuck are you on these boards ? Grippy …

Thanks for HR info, seems like a sweet engine, the 08 model (if they change it to what they are saying) should be a pretty nice engine, althought alot of people arnt too happy with the new modeling. Either way, it seems like a much stronger engine. I am also going down to Seattle next month to drive in my buddies GReddy TT, I know they sound so loud, especially with open waste gates. So i cant wait, should help influence me on what platform im going to choose.

BTW I might be purchasing a 2003 350z Enthusiast model with just under 9k for 22k!!! (originally he wanted 26,500)I would have to get it shipped from the States though, but wow do they ever have better pricing then Canada, especially looking at autotrader. Even if the 2003 are prone to tire feathering and transmission failure, nothing a little alignment cant fix, and its still under 5 year warranty for tranny. Only thing is i dont think i can find a better deal than this, but i would be buying it and putting it away for the winter anyways haha. Not to sure what i should do.

And Grippy thanks, and im really not worried about what other people think, because im building the car for me anyways, so if it doesnt turn out the way i planned it, its because i wanted it that way. :D!!!

matt

Its unlikely the warrenty will mean anything once the car is registered in canada, just a FYI. I was going to pick up a AP1 S2000 origionally when I got my ITR. Thats the only thing that stopped me from doing it.