Chevy Guru's chime in...

I am starting my TA project soon. My question is this…what is the most efficient/ cost effective way to build a 350 to reach around 400 rwhp? I was thinking of getting a used 350 and throwing on a top end kit from JEGS or Summit. How do they perform? I know they match perfectly because all the components are made for each other, but like which ones are better than others etc?

step 1:
LS1
step 2:
:tspry:
step 3:
???
step 4:
profit

LMFAO. Nice. Yeah I wanna do it NA. Don’t want to be a bottle baby. And an LS! is way too expensive. I dont wanna spend 10k on this thing…although damn would I like an LS1 in that thing.

hrm

J&J should have some ideas on this

Word. I would like to be in the 12’s NA. Quick enough to have some fun. Decent on the street for playin around and respectable at the track. I will never be able to compete with people like Choda, Oroc, Bighands etc. I just want to have some fun.

You don’t need to have 400hp to be in the 12’s.My malibu’s setup was very mild and it ran a 13.0,8.26 in the 1/8.With a set of performance heads and a bigger cam…mid/low 12’s would’ve been quite easy.

355 engine
9:1 compression
Stock heads from 1973,they were 73cc
Edelbrock cam/Performer RPM intake/Holley 650 carb
Dynomax headers/Dual Exhaust
TH-350 w/3200 stall
12 bolt posi with 4.11’s.

400 wheel is a little demanding out a carb’d 350,that means you’d have to be putting out close to 500 at the crank and at that point the setup starts becoming less streetable and more $$$ involved.

OK i’ll say it

ahem

if you wanna part with the thing for maybe a G, get an LS1 car with high friggin miles

6Kish this time of yr, esp if you’re willing to travel

get your bank loan and take a road trip :tup:

I had been thinking of selling it and buying one with a 350 already in it…but I dunno…I love this car.

the engine I setup in the s10 with good heads ran 12.6

The motor ran me about 800 in parts. I built it.
With a good pair of heads it was up to 1500 bucks

a good stock block, rebuilt with a little more cr, good heads intake cam, would be good for 12s…

if you do the work yourself you could spend about 1500-2000 and easily run lo 12s

Talk to paul from PMP he could build a nice engine, hes pretty good with carbed engines!

JNJ knows his stuff too :gotme:

GM cast iron vortec heads with some work, 11.8:1 compression, Victor Jr intake, Crane 224/230@.050 .488/.510 lift 112 750 carb,3600 stall… cheap setup to go fast

when did that car run a 12.6

I was recently up there on business a few weeks ago and I talked to the new owner and he had said he had some differents heads put on and ran at a track in canada @ 12.6

Vortech heads FTW!

Top end is key for a 350 to run big. My nova has a 355 in her with a tpi set up, the problem im having is the stock tpi setup off the vette does not flow air very good, so im working on getting a trick set up for her, then she will run great throughout the power band. Also having a 3 inch exhaust with race mufflers does not help it.

Vortec*

And IIRC, i recently saw a writeup on how newer vortec heads for the lt-1 are better designed and flow better than the old Factory high compression/performance heads of the late 60’s early 70’s

:word:

Word, find some vortec heads from a truck.

most reliable power? go ls1 with heads/cam! no juice no FI, just plain old fun.

LS1

:word: x whatever…Vortec heads are the best bang for da buck. Next I would say, would be the World heads. You will need a lopey cam to get that kind of power but, Im guessing you wouldnt mind too much. Then dont be like some people I know and built a sweet engine just to leave a stock converter, trans, and 2.78 open diff rear. Because that kind of power NA out of a 350 is going to need at least a 3000stall maaaaybe 2800, and at least a 3.55 gear. THAT would def. get you into the 12s.

Vortec heads, 1.6 rockers, mild cam(since the compression won’t be that high you don’t need an overly aggressive cam), air gap intake, 650 carb, and some short headers with dual 2.5" exhaust.

3.73’s and a 3500 stall would compliment that setup very well.