99 s10 engine conversion

sorry for such a stupid question guys. but i need an opinion. i seriously want a small block 350 for the s dime. should i just leave it and get an import or a muscle car or should i make a project out of this beater? and how? thanks:sword:

Find a 95 or older.

OBD2 will be a PITA.

Otherwise, there are 11ty kits out there for SBC in S10/S15 chassis.

Also - you srsly want a 350 in it?

Have you considered at all what you want to do with the truck?

Drag?
Scrape?
Show?
DD?

There are a TON of options (most of them better) then an OG SBC swap. Namely an LSx swap.

nick nailed it. 99 will be a pain in the butt with inspections.

if money is an issue wouldn’t an sbc be muuuuuch cheaper than an lsx swap? then again if money were an issue we wouldn’t be modding our cars now would we, lol. but def. figure out what you’d like the truck to do then you’re decision can be narrowed down.

Carbed SBC is cheap, yes.

but that would be impossible to pass NYSI with. Whereas you at least ahve a chance with some form of EFI.

touche.

ls engines + plus t56 or 4l are running for 3500+ not including everything in the front clip.

you can go to a junkyard and get a lt1 for less than 500 out of a roadmaster or w/e and it probably wont have been beat on unless ma n pop had to get home from the supermarket in under 2min.

and they usually have warranties

easiest fucking swap in the world as long as you dont get a pos fuel pressure regulator like we did

lol that was hilarious. and yes very very easy swap. Good call on the lt1 also. they are cheap nowadays and can be made to be pretty potent.

At least in Vermont the motor has to be the same year or newer in order to pass inspection, I am not sure if this is true in NY. I know people thats how I get mine inspected in VT, I plan on going LSX but if not LT1 when I get out of school. Carb swap was easy, there are companies that make harnesses for the LSX into an S-10, I would try going to S-10 specific site and start on research. s10forum.com is a good place to start.

I did a couple months of research and still had to overnight some parts from Jegs.

its like overnighting from japan!:mamoru:!

lol sorry

I was thinking that when I wrote it!!! lol

why spend the big bucks, you can get a truck motor from the lsx series for crazy cheap. I have seen 5.3s start at 350 bucks and go up.

No need to spend big money to get great reliable power, and mucho better MPG.

Pass.

lsx

Be a man. LQ4/9 setup.

How much money ya got

I have been down this path…I kind of still am.

The best NYS option for an S10 project is a 94-95. No worries and you can do pretty anything.

My project list, more or less.

94-95 S-10 Ext Cab Long Bed
LT1/T56
3" Dual Setup (Magnaflow 12469)
98 Front end - Custom Dam
2/4 Spindle/Leaf Drop
98 Front end - Custom Dam
Roll Pan
SS Mirrors
17 inch wheels (American Racing 671)

The interior was the only snag. I thought about a full off 98+ conversion because it is more pleasing to the eye than the 94-97 style. I was hoping to find a 98 and up in the yards/auction where the rear got obliterated.

wtf’s that?