FISHING - LOWER DASHSHIELD DAM

Im heading to the lower dashshield damn, across from the crescent twp fire department, to fish at about 1pm. Lots of space for a few people so i thought id throw this out there.

Larger tackle and some stinky bait as im fishing for some big catfish :slight_smile: If your into artifical bait then rapalas. white jigs and hot and tots are good for the white bass, walleye and regular bass.

Cell - 724.601.3592

Jimmy

wheres dashshield damn?

down university blvd in moon then left on stoops ferry hollow at the light.

Follow that and bare right onto 51 right after inches nursery

then turn right onto main st. which is across from the crescent twp VFD!

dont go thru the tunnel bare right up , youll pass a small park then up a huge windy hill.

make the left midway up the hill

over the tracks then slight right onto the narrow road along the tracks.

follow that and it will bring you to the dam.

Jimmy

we didnt catch much today for some reason. a bunch of small catfish, some bass and a few gar!

I fucking hate GAR fish. if you dont know then, http://www.garfishing.com/

there is some wild shit in that river. it kinda makes you think twice before swimming in it.

Sounds like you had some fun! I hate Gar, I caught one up at Erie a few years ago.

Gar… wow that shit looks painful!

you can also go on the leetsdale side. walk down behind subway at the quaker village shopping center.

ya even when i dont catch anything special, I always have a good time :slight_smile:

im not usually a puss about touching fish to get hooks out but i refuse to even mess with a GAR. I will cut the line :slight_smile: They scare the piss out of me.

thats how you do it? I was trying to figure out exactly how you get to the opposite by the small creek that runs into the ohio.

Jimmy

correct.

but there is signs warning about goverment property etc.
I dont know about the side you was on.

the signs say the same but i was talking with the dam workers about fishing. I dont think they really mind as long as your not an idiot.

also, there was easily 10 to 12 people fishing on the other side that I could see from the side i was on.

Watch out for the crazy bums that sleep in that field. :rofl:

I fish all the time but ive never even seen a GAR… that thing looks fierce

they are all over the river but I have only ever caught them by the dashshield dam and on the lower side of the back channel. Its freaky as hell because they look so prehistoric and dinosaur like. Also sucks because the bigger ones will take your bait, hooks, weight and everything in one bite.

the most hilarious thing is watching people who have never seen a gar before catch them down there. People wig the fuck out because they think they caught the lock ness monster or something.

:rofl: i love when that shit happens… i watched some dumbass get bite by a tiger musky down in mon city cuz he thought it was a bass :bowrofl:

Do they ever close the gate? I am usually up around that way around midnight, but go through the tunnel to fish (see sig). I havn’t fished the lock in years. Last year, out of my spot I caught: wallaye, sauger, bass, trout, carp, catfish

pics of said gar?

i have never stayed past dark there so i don’t know for sure. there are a few fire pits around the lock so I would imagine that people night fish and the gate stays open all night.

not this time but next time i go ill get some of a GAR if i catch one.

GAR’s look awesome. makes me acctually wanna go fish