Getting into the snow plowing business this winter

Yea its that time of the year, Im searching for a plow and will probably have one by monday and hopefully will be accepting bids next week. Does anyone here do any snow plowing? I have some questions about bidding and how much you guys are charging. Ive talked to some people but nobody local and prices vary a lot between regions. Ill stick to residential for probably my first year or 2, maybe do some really small lots, try and work my way up the ladder.

swifty plowed for the winter and now is selling it.

Do you need just a plow or a truck too?

I have a truck, 98 GMC Sierra. Just need a plow

coulda sold ya a plow if u posted this up 3 days earlier

Damn that sucks

Theres always a ton of plows for that truck on Craigslist

I dont know too much about plows, so if you see any good ones let me know. Im trying not to spend more than a grand or so on the plow so Im assuming its going to be a bit beat up but as long as its in good working condition than im fine with it.

sold.

Hows this one look?

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/pts/1406572491.html

Idk how well you’re going to fair with out bidding people on lots. I, as well as another member on here, operate the heavy machines(loaders, skidsteers, etc) for a company and we cover A LOT of lots in the area from Rennselear(sp?) to Guilderland to Colonie to Latham, etc. and I feel it’d be reallllllly hard to outbid guys/businesses that have a ton of machinery/trucks.
But goodluck to you, it’s a fun job and there is money to be had in it, but like I said, it’s hard being a single or few person crew unless you have like driveways and small lots to do.

Im not going after any big lots, I dont have the machinery or the help to get the job done. Ill be sticking to driveways and very small lots that require only plowing and salting and maybe a bit of sidewalk cleanup, its going to be a 1 man show. My old man did it back in the early 90’s and he said it was some of the easiest money he’s ever made. Hopefully I can pick up 10-20 driveways and a small parking lot or 2.

what questions do u have? as for a plow good luck…make sure u buy a newer one…the older styles will cosy u more in the end…ill be plowing again this yr…i may even take mine and swifts old route if he wants nothing to do with it…

Just looking to see what some local guys charge on driveways, do you guys charge by per push, hourly, or just do a season contract? Whats the standard going rate for your basic driveway depending on how you charge them? And whats your average trigger for residential jobs?

SOLD

beat you to it slow poke, just like the mustang is gonna romp on the diesel!

i have approx 40 drive ways and get 30 bux a peice, take 2 hours totally done

If you have never plowed before then your going to be in for a big suprise, i used to do it every year.

I think my buddies dad has a plow set up for a 90’s gm truck. Ill ask him today and see if he still has all the stuff

Why’d you stop?

Thatd be great, let me know.

When we get big storms do you charge them everytime you clear their driveway? Im sure some of these big storms youre out there all day since by the time youre done with all of them the ones you started with are covered in a few inches of snow again.