Helpdesk

at a car dealership?

well i do all the phone admin stuff, setting up users in the Accoutning program, manage network stuff and all pc reapirs.

7 stores > me

So you’re saying that your CIO is racist and expresses favortism in the hiring process?

The CIO is new and so far appears to be a tyrant.

Technical Assistance Center? and Network Operations Center

ha ha ha, happens all the time.

For as big as kennemetal is, there should def. be 3 tiers. Hell, I have 2 here, for about 150 people, and it may soon grow to 3. Student workers take tier one, which is printer maint., word / ms office problems, basically the crap work I don’t want to do any more. Tier 2 right now is me, and that is all backend work and dev, account set ups, machine imaging, etc. I am trying to get a new person in for tier 2 and for me to be the tier 3, which would be all daily server maint, dev, future planning, and skiing / playing golf because I can remote into everything I need :x:

Amen brother…I hear that! That would be one way to deal with the shitty situation!

Well here is the situation at hand

Kennametal has a huge IT… but not huge compared to the systems we have…
First point of contact is the GSC (helpdesk)… every person here, regardless of skill set is expected to do the same job.
If we can’t resolve it, we escalate to the next level which are the groups in charge of maintaining the systems they are repsonsible for, such as Lotus Notes group handles issues with e-mail. These issues would include things like… upgrades to a newer client, for the whole Corp; server maintenance; system wide issues. So when these guys get a ticket from someone at the GSC about a user not being able to archive, they get pissed. But since the GSC does not all have the same skill level, the new folks don’t know how to set up archiving, so forth.
I can’t seem to make my boss understand that these newer folks should be routing tickets to the more experienced folks.
So the process we have now is to send it to the folks who make the big bucks and really piss them off, which in turn is also causing an image issue for the GSC.

bah…in two more years they will probably outsource your job to India anyways, and you wont have to worry about

Thanks… I hope your employment future is as bright as you just made mine sound.

I don’t think it’s that bleak. I was just over there. Trends are already changing with big companies like Infosys in Bangalore. They are now hiring more and more Americans. In addition, the cause and affect of outsourcing is increasing the value of the rupee with respect to the dollar - making it less efficient to outsource.

lotus notes and end user archiving…lawlz

Sounds backwards to me.

I think only the experienced people should answer the phones. Then you can either:

a) assign your easy grunt work to a new person as a training method
b) handle it yourself
c) decide, in a better way, which tickets to assign to the guys making the big bucks.

…remember the movie Office Space…

[Scene Initech. Bob Slydell and Bob Porter are interviewing Tom.]

BOB SLYDELL
So what you do is you take the specifications from the customers and you bring them down to the software engineers?

TOM
That, that’s right.

BOB PORTER
Well, then I gotta ask, then why can’t the customers just take the specifications directly to the software people, huh?

TOM
Well, uh, uh, uh, because, uh, engineers are not good at dealing with customers.

BOB SLYDELL
You physically take the specs from the customer?

TOM
Well, no, my, my secretary does that, or, or the fax.

BOB SLYDELL
Ah.

BOB PORTER
Then you must physically bring them to the software people.

TOM
Well…no. Yeah, I mean, sometimes.

BOB SLYDELL
Well, what would you say… you do here?

TOM
Well, look, I already told you. I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don’t have to!! I have people skills!! I am good at dealing with people!!! Can’t you understand that?!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!

It takes a special kind of temperment to take calls from unhappy customers all day long. Engineers (like Tom up there…) do not generally have the social good graces to treat the customer with kid gloves when they call in about a problem. An Engineer sitting in their cube postulating the day away is not paid to answer calls all day. There was a wholly-owned subsidiary of our company that answered their own calls. I did front line one day as part of that group…never again: I’ll do Tier 2 support all day long…but answering all calls, no way.

how many people work for the help desk?

the location i’m at has it’s own building for windows help desk… over 150+ people on it… they have a ticketing system and they just escalate calls accordingly

TAC = Technical Assistance center

NOC = Network Operations Center

main thing about expedient is open communication, we have access via phone/email/AIM to anyone in the company. Things usualy get resolved due to that aspect. the ability for me to bug whitey/bobby311 about a NT question helps alot lol.

We have 6 in Latrobe
and 6 in India

We have 14,000 employees worldwide

We have phone/ email / web tickets (users can enter their own tickets)

Everything seems ot get done, but it is so haphazard and un-strustured that I can’t believe it does get done.

nt :kekegay:

well then i wouldnt’ say the helpdesk is huge!!! you guys just need to nail down a process to always go through when tickets come in.

Dom - i just migrated and retired an NT 4.0 box on monday… how LOL is that???