whitey, sonny help

I’ve done networks from comp to comp, room to room, building to building…but what’s the best way to go about offices in 2 cities…obviously it has to be set up through the net but it’s more of a file transfer with security than using a web server…i thought about ftp and i have a program called home file server…any input on any of this?

whoops this is kurt didnt’ know she was logged in

either FTP or some sort of VPN software would work.

i got a program for vpn that allows you to basically access the other computer through their desktop…i’m testing it now

well lets see, how highly secure do you need it to be? are these two office locations? do you want to turn them into their own network? An ATM line connecting the two offices could be one possible solution. You could also setup a VPN, that would be an idea too. I think you need to try to explain a little more about what you want to do. if its confidential just PM me and we can most likely come up with a solution

it’s not really confidential and it’s not really all that involved all he wants to do is be able to access/change appointments in a “book” (so to speak) from both locations without having to lug a paper copy around. aside from a dedicated line i think my best bet is a vpn, i found a nice vpn program that gives you access to the other computer throught the desktop with a simple password login…i’ll be discussing it with him tomorrow and get a better idea of what he really wants but i’m fishing for ways this can be done.

yeah that would work. what kind of network are you on? NT based? if he just wants to be able to access his computer he could use terminal services and then just let certain IP address able to connect over TS

from what i got from beth (it’s her boss) it’s xp, it’s just a small office in both locations with 2 or 3 comps at each place…this prog allows me to have more than 1 access at a time which also would work, the only drawback to vpn is without a static ip he’d have to change it every time the system reboots. i’m not sure if comcast (his highspeed) will do static ips

you could run dyndns to solve that dynamic IP problem

hows that work, from what i looked up came back with a mac program and a website i could register a domain name on

http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/

allows you to alias a dynamic addres to a host name

my only question would be if this program will connect through a host name or just an ip address…i’ll have to check it cuz it appears to do both i just odnt’ have a host name that i cna test it on…i’ll let you iknow what happens tomorrow see if he goes for it

np, i will be at work all day tomorrow. so just ask, i am sure there is a solution. sonny or bobby311 might have another angle on it too

i’d go two routes…

dude wants to be cheap, then that’s one thing… want to be a baller that’s another…

i’d go baller route… just get two watchgard fireboxes (what i use) and setup a secure VPN… share a folder, make changes.

WEb proxy is another angle… setup a proxy to allow a certian IP into the LAN… almost a full scale VPN… but not really.

dameware, i love dameware… it’s just like real VNC, it’s a client like TS that registers a service and allows remote desktops… just use that… write a batch into the config of the install that the host will hold the services, and the services will be installed on the target and pulled off when the connection is killed. dameware and vnc are both free.

the question is, does he have a server? is this a domain?

sounds like it’s an XP workgroup which = ghey… if this is the case i’d probably sharing one external IP on one machine to the others in the group?

if it’s a server with a true external line, you’re golden… whats’ on the other side? server? workgroup? … security… do you have users? can you set authentication security on the file? it’s bad to just have an open port to the interweb for any company… even if it’s not a confidential file… just bad practice!

it can be done for free if you have ot… if you can spend some loot i’d undoubtedly go external firewall VPN… fireboxes are linux kernals = good security.