Helpdesk

Does anyone here have a helpdesk at their workplace? If yes I have some questions and would appreciate some help.

shoot

i run a help desk here, what do you need. lol:sex:

What is the basic set up of your helpdesk? Call come in… then what. Do they resolve issues or pass them? How many tiers are on your helpdesk?

We have at least 2 help desks. 1 for IT and one for Customer Support. Maybe another in business operations? :dunno:

They are both set up the same way. One person answers all the incoming calls, then assigns to the appropriate person to resolve. That’s it.

Tier 1 - TAC - First line of customer contact, first call resolution would be great but it does not always happen. They essentially take as much info as possible and escalate

Tier 2 - NOC - Have access to systems and networks. They resolve 90% of the cases that come up from the TAC. They also are first level to priority customers or complex network or system issues.

Tier 3 - Engineering - Whether its Unix, Windows, or Networks the escalation stops here with resolution.

So Tier 1 and 2 are Helpdesk? Do youhappen to know the credentials for the tier 1 and 2?

and what do TAC and NOC stand for?

This is an IT helpdesk, we don’t deal with anyone other than our own employees.

Go eat some chilli…

ok, i’ll be waiting for you:fart:

Gotcha. Then, yeah, every time I have ever called the IT help desk there is someone that takes the call. It might be PC, unix, network, email related… Whatever. The problem get assigned once based on context.

How does your place operate?

Well that is the biggest problem… our boss keeps flip flopping.

We (about 2 years ago) were trying to resolve calls as they came in. And we didn’t fix them all but we got a good portion of them. Then we would escalate to the next level, being PC Support; LAN; Lotus notes; who ever.

Then our new boss decided that we were getting way too many abandoned calls and that we should stop fixing people and send a ticket to other groups.

Now, the new CIO is complaining and she wants us to start trouble shooting again, but in the meantime, we have 7 new employees who are from India and don’t speak English very well and have the common sense of a 3 year old.

So I keep telling her that we need 2 tiers in the GSC (Global Support Center). The new folks should be the first level and they should escalate to the older folks who would be tier 2.

But she doesn’t want to do that because then she is worried about teh Indians being upset.

WTF !!!

Do you want me to eat some chilli too???

There should always be a Tier 1 (simple/scripted resolutions), 2 (processing and logical resolutions that are not canned) and 3 (research and complex solutions) levels of support.

You’re in a bad position here. You voice your opinion and you become “the nail which protrudes and surely shall receive the hammer”. You don’t voice your opinion and you have to deal with the fallout of a bad decision from someone that can shitcan you.

Yeah… It’s been like this for sometime now… almost 2 years and its starting to get to me.

I can’t quit, I make too much money and every new position that comes up is in India…

Problem

Then our new boss decided that we were getting way too many abandoned calls and that we should stop fixing people and send a ticket to other groups.

Secretary?

Now, the new CIO is complaining

her

typical

So I keep telling her that we need 2 tiers in the GSC (Global Support Center). The new folks should be the first level and they should escalate to the[QUOTE] older folks
who would be tier 2.[/QUOTE]
Age discrimination?

But she doesn’t want to do that because then she is worried about teh Indians being upset.

Reason why there will never be a woman president.

WTF !!!

Your CIO is too caring, enough that it inhibits good business practices.

Don’t mean to sound sexist but basically thats your prob. Who cares if the indians get upset, if they cant do the job or feel uncomfortable, fuckem! Hire someone else.

I’m going home for a couple of hours then I’ll be back to work.

My boss is a woman
The CIO is a man from India originally but has been in the US for 20+ years. he’s more of a dictator.

It’s not that the Indians are uncomfortable it is that it takes… literally … one whole year to learn this job well. You can wing it after 3 months, but to be truely effective… it’s at least one year. we have 2 indians who have been employed with us for 1 year… all the others are less than 6 months, with 2 more not hired yet.

i am the helpdesk. :frowning: