HID Install

Well I got a nice set of HID’s from Spencerhids for christmas and im going to be attempting the install sometime this week. I’ll make sure to take plenty of pictures. Its my first time doing it but I’m pretty good with electrical wiring and all of that.

Heres the kit I have:

35w H11 low beam 6000k
25w 5202 Fogs 3000k

I have Spencers kits on my truck. Great product and even better customer service! Very easy instal. Hardest thing is finding good mounting points for the ballasts.

Yeh lol I have to almost take my bumper completely off for the install… GOING TO SUCK!

Welcome to the club. My Maxima was a breeze to install on, the M is a pain. Have to remove all my underbody splash shields.

As for the install, you’ll be fine. I personally never use the mounting brackets and just zip tie the ballasts to the various metal brackets in the engine compartment. A nice snug zip tie on top and bottom keeps that bad boy from moving a cm, so it’s fine without all that drilling, etc.

I will be swapping out my DDM kit for a Morimoto setup as soon as the second half of my order comes in (hopefully this week).

DDM kit ran me like $100 for top and bottom…the Morimoto supposedly is 20% more light (in actual testing) and better quality but costs $350 for the entire set. I’m an HID fanatic though…gotta have nice gearheadz :lol.

If you want to get serious, I’d probably mount the ballasts using rubber isolators. Or maybe it comes with them?

didnt open the box yet travis Im not quite sure, Im planning on heavy duty double sided tape plus zip ties. Ilya I hear ya this kit ran 270$

For my lows, I mounted my Ballasts on a plexi plate. The fogs are just double sided tape to the lower bumper and zip tied for extra hold. Ive gone thru 2 ballasts so far and he just asked to see the wires cut and ships me a new one free. No shipping cost covered or anything. Great service from Spencer.

How long have you had them?

I had Xentec cheapo ones on my old Civic, had a little shield that gave them a resonable cutoff. I did not use a wiring harness, and think the stock wire was to thin and melted somewhere, because they started to flicker or not turn on at all after a while. That car is in the junkyard now, so no worries :lol

2 years and change, got them a little while after I got the truck. Its a 08 with 55k miles

I mounted the ballasts underneath the headlights, where they were subject to water and vibration. Fuck them if they can’t take a joke.

They also could have been flickering and not turning on because they are xentecs. I’ve seen two different kits do this out of the box (one ballast not firing every time (even with a relay harness), flickering). I’ve had pretty good luck with DDM tuning kits.

If I’ve got the money this spring I’ll be getting a set of the minimoto H1 projectors.

^ Know anyone with a set of DDM H4 with the high/low beams, if they like them? Thought of buying a set for my CRV as the headlights suck amazingly.

I had awesome luck with DDM on my Maxima. On the M, one of my fog lights ballasts died so I had that replaced, but I guess I didn’t know for some time because one bulb is darker than the other (different hours of usage so different ‘burn-in’). Right now, my driver side ballast is acting up. If I have my lights on and go to just corner lights, if I go back, the driver side won’t fire. I have to turn the car off and then turn it back on. Could be the bulb though because it’s more yellow than the left side.

I have my HID’s on whenever I’m driving (day time or night time) and I have them them for more than a year…so I guess I can’t complain. That’s a lot of use.

No, sorry. One of my friends does have a set of the high/lows on his 4th gen maxima, but they are H7’s or something, they’ve been good for like a year and a half, and that includes rear-ending someone last winter.

4th Gen Maxima is a 9005 bulb. I miss my 4th Gen. :lol

I mounted mine on the bumper support with double sided tape. It worked out great. You cant seem them with the hood open and the fog lights are mounted to the bumper support. All the plugs are accessible. Which was nice when I had to replace a bulb last summer. Good luck with your install.

Mine are installed the same way, Joe. I used 3M dual-lok (aka retard-strength velcro).

Like EZpass velcro?

Yes.