I failed my emissions big time

i knew my car was rich, but not this rich:
s14 with s13 sr20det redtop completely stock and a really hot cat for the test and no sure pass.

HC ppm limit: 64 reading: 125…fail
CO% limit: .35 reading: .64…fail
NO ppm limit: 485 reading: 4247…fail

curb idle
HC ppm limit: 150 reading: 380…fail
CO% limit: .7 reading: .48…pass
NO pmm limit: N/A reading: N/A

now i need some help to pass, what do you guys think is the problem? I’m gonna check for vacuum leaks, boost leaks, the timing and the cat. Whats the best way to find the leaks because they might be hard to spot?
Also the guy at the emissions place said i cant be tested as a hot rod becasue i dont have a V8 in it and its a nissan engine i didnt think this was true, is he full of shit?

some other symptoms my car has is it idles at 1500 rpm when warm and 3000rpm when cold(and ive tried to adjust it), and… just really smelly rich

thank you guys so much for ANY help im sooo stressed and shit about this,
logan

Hey man I have a 1990 240sx with a Sr20det swap in it. I work at a shop here in Hamilton and the way we passed my car was to put it on the Hot Rod setting and run it. The numbers for the Hot Rod’s are huge and you will pass really easily. I am not sure why they wouldn’t let you run it that way. All you have to do to be considered a “hot rod” is to have swapped out engines. As long as you don’t have the stock engine in then you qualify. They probably scanned you VIN tag and it is running your car on your stock engine settings, and you probably will not be able to make it pass for anything that way. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hey man I have a 1990 240sx with a Sr20det swap in it. I work at a shop here in Hamilton and the way we passed my car was to put it on the Hot Rod setting and run it. The numbers for the Hot Rod’s are huge and you will pass really easily. I am not sure why they wouldn’t let you run it that way. All you have to do to be considered a “hot rod” is to have swapped out engines. As long as you don’t have the stock engine in then you qualify. They probably scanned you VIN tag and it is running your car on your stock engine settings, and you probably will not be able to make it pass for anything that way. Let me know if you have any other questions.

say you need it tested as a hotrod because it is a swaped motor (different displacement) i just did my passed no problem

I did ask for hotrod they said no, and my problem is that even with hotrod im not gonna pass, my numbers are way too high especially on my NOppm and i want to fix that but i cant find whats wrong.

like what i need to kno is what would cause a high NOppm bascially, im sure if i fixed that it would correct the others a bit too.

running rich and timing is off (or erratic)

do a tune-up and set everything to spec, use 93 octane sunoco

Logan, where did you get it done at? I’m pretty sure if you tried it at a place like Canadian Tire or something, they’d prolly say no. That is what i’m scared off to, people saying “No it cant be tested as a hotrod.” People are just so stupid.

Once you get it tested as a hot rod though, it will be perfectly fine.

does SR have EGR setup?
but from ur reading looks like the CAT is dead…

okie so ill replace the cat to improve my NOppm. anything else that could cause it?

one more thing, the guys at the emissions place said that my cat was empty, could this alone be the reason for all this shit? i just figured he was trying to get more $$$$ out of me. he could be right tho.

wtf cat is empty?

didnt budget put a new one in for you a couple years ago?

actually no, it was the resonator, i remember now. shit

Some crazy asian probably ate the insides of his cat.

ok so an update…my cat was empty so im replacing that, it SHOULD fix the emissions problem.

But now ive been doing some readings on my sensors and my TPS is reading about 5.15volts off throttle and 5.15 volts WOT. This could be the cause to my high idle… does that mean my TPS is shot?

and i cleaned my iacv with TB cleaner too no change in idle.

any help appreaciated, thx,
logan

your theory could be right. his cat was hollow’r than your head mork.

check the fsm for the tps adjustment procedure, it’s supposed to know when it’s idling and do things accordingly… unless it hits the idle threshold it will think it is cruising at light throttle and never “idle”

bribe the guy for 100$ cofee money -> pass

Also if you’ve got a walbro or any other larger than stock (for SR) fuel pump you could be overpowering the stock FPR, higher pressure means more fuel.

so i do have a walbro and a stock fpr, could taht cause richness and a high idle?