I Know this is a longshot......

I am looking for any businesses that would like to assist in sponsoring me for the buildup of my vehicle for 2007 season autocross and drift. Please PM with any interest for more details of the this. Please guys, dont flame me, this is a genuine request, and I am a good driver.

You’re going to be using the same car for AutoX & Drift?

-TJ

Yes I am. I will be using fully adjustable suspension by the time Next season comes around. I can do both quite well.

Grip vs. Slip require very different setups, though I’m sure you know this. I’d suggest getting the tools so you can do DYI alignments since you’ll need to change that every time you switch between slip/grip.

What sort of vehicle are you doing this with…?

-TJ

I have all my own alignment tools and access to a Hunter DSP 900 laseralignment machine. I know all the setups I need to make it work. I am looking for help for the motor swap and tires. Suspension, safety, and braking is almost entirely done already. BTW the vehicle (I knwo it sounds crazy) is my s-10. I autocross it regularly and am one of the only actual drifters in butler. Or at least anyone who actually practices it.

good luck. I know a guy down here that’s looking to sponsor, not fully but discount on suspension parts, someone to drift. As for tires I have no clue.

Are you out of ur fucking mind?

Hey arent there internet sites that ‘sponsor’? Good luck, unless ur lappin ricky bobby on the dirt track in ur s10

In all seriousness Luke to help you out. But this is your first year of even attempting this sorta thing. As far as mods, i’d take care of all that stuff on your truck you said would break if someone else drove it. If the truck isn’t mechically running where you can push the hell outta it when your on course, then work on getting it there first. Second, once you feel its soild enough to take the abuse, take a EVO school next year. http://autocross.server269.com/evolution/modules/news/
No mods you will ever do to your truck will make up for a actual learning experience (aka. you need more seat time) when you are evaluated and compared to better drivers. There is probaly more time left in your truck than you know, trust me. If you need proof, go look at your class and PAX results North Hills Sports Car Club Autocross Results
When you can start running near the upper half on the PAX index THEN you can start to think about major mods. Again not flaming you, but if your serious about this then you have to do it the right way. Tossing a V8 in your truck will make the truck alot faster, but it doesn’t automaticly boost your driving skill level at the same time either.

i was under the impression to become a good driver, take a slow underpowered car and make it fast by being able to nail ther apex and take speed in and out of the turn. once you have that down, then jump up in power. thats just my view of autox/road race or any car evenmt that involves turning :slight_smile:

You just excluded alot of corvette drivers (not you TJ lol), but you have the right idea :wink:

Unless you me, get the turning part down. Then forget the part where your suppose to get a car that makes more HP than a electric toothbrush.

tight autocrosses dont require a whole lot of power…most cars only see 50mph tops in those things…IF that. so a 500hp Z06 or 200hp miata, it dont really matter. it just needs to grip hard and turn harder… smaller cars will work best obviously

if you really want sponsors you have to put yourself out there noticably. ( winning competions, following points, bla bla bla.)
also you have to build a car, to get sponsored most of the time… its pretty much like playing the loto… you spend money to make money in that sense.

if you can start a good build up and a great proposal you may have a shot of a partial sponsorship. :slight_smile:

Anyone giving you money is going to want their name on something nice, and winning helps too, so I would say to make your truck look really good, and like the above post said, win some events.

Nothing crazy about it, I respect you for taking an unorthodox approach. Good luck and report back how it goes!

-TJ

There’s a lot of truth here. You can learn by jumping into a car like mine… but the car can also mask your mistakes. I can make up a lot with my power that I couldn’t in say a Miata. Some of the best 'vette racers I know started in Miatas or things of that sort. I just have to be very carefull to compare myself to the fast 'vettes not the other “slower” cars out there so I can see how I am “really” doing. Holding corner speed, hitting a perfect line AND using my power is necessary to run with those guys.

-TJ

biggest thing i did to help improve was to drive slow ass rental cars the last season. then when i jumped in habibs civic and ians evo i came within tenths of habib and 10ths of winning STU in the evo both events i drove it. I learned it’s not an on/off pedal, in my talon i was on the throttle 100% or off it completely, i had no throttle control at all.

No offense here but you need to start winning the class that your in consistantly for maybe a whole year at actual SCCA events (not just north hills) and actual drift events not just beaver drift practices.

i definetely understand. I know what my truck runs is about what yuou can get out of the thing. It only goes to about 4k rpm tops before internals would break. You gotta remember, it is a pushrod 4 cyl that only made 96 hp at the crank brand new and bone stock 15 years ago. At the point I am at now more power is direly needed. I am not trying to get gobs of power to make up for bad driving. I just want a little help getting a bone stock v8 in there to make up for the fact a fat kid in a golf cart could outrun my truck. I literally need less than 1500 to get the rest of this project together. And in all reality I am a very decent driver. Throw dave stoner or justin in my truck and you might get a couple tenths less than me, but to be honest it really is almost entirely the equipment holding me back. And I dont want to switch to a different platform because A) I dont have the money for that, and B) I love my truck. What I really need to do even before the project gets fully underway is another daily driver. So we will see where that leads

Oh BTW my name is Jake, not Luke. Someone fucked it up in the computer and they have been calling me that for months now.

Like I said in the above post, the equipment is simply limiting me in the hugest amount. Stick me in a bone stock miata or something of the like and I do great. It is just that I am too limited by the equipment and I dont want to switch to something else.

you’re basing a lot on the fact that it’s the vehicle you’re in yet you’re using it as the basis for your future plan.

I think at this point you need to look at codriving another vehicle more competitve in the class you want to run in, instead of trying to solicit money to build up a vehicle you’re claiming is limitiing you.

During the fun runs last time I co drove my friend’s integra. In my first run alone I smoked his fastest time of the day by almost an entire second. It would have been enough to have second in GS. I could have won that class if I had co driven for more than 2 runs and actually competed in his car.