need technical help!!!

well, in my search to find a better stronger solution to my drivetrain breakage. right now im breaking cv axles. It appears that they keep breakig right where the cv shaft meets the cv it keeps breaking. and its always a clean break like right where the cast is welded to the shaft.

now im thinking that the welds from the shaft to the casting in the joint arent very strong at all since everytime i break an axle its right at the joint and a clean break.

now either i can try to reinforce the stock axles at the breakage points with stronger welds or welding some sorta sleevs around the week spot, or i can try to find axles from another vehicle, preferably stronger and try to fab them to work with my car.

any suggestions???

next task will be eliminating my 2 peice driveshaft for a stronger 1 pc unit.

i cant remember the front drive shaft manufacture in kenmore but ther eis a place in kenmore on military near grand prix garage on your right if your coming from buffalo. they specialize in fwd drive shaft they said. so check them out. the wellding of of a sleeve will cause it to be unbalance would u think? causing it to feel very shake? im not a mechainc so i wouldnt know. im just going by common sense i guess.

pretty sure its RWD. – if you can do teh sleeve, do it. Then take it somewhere and have them balance it. Its worth a shot and won’t cost that much.

not sure if you could make these work:
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/item170783.ctlg

they’re pricey too…

not a fwd car… but b/c they are half shafts could be the same

Ford 9inch rear end :tup:

I lost points with my domestic friends for helping move your car :frowning:

The M series rear ends any stronger?

yes, im aware of those. very pricey but a quality product none the less. but im trying to buy a house right now, so this isnt gunna fly with the wifey.

the M’s all share the same style/strength rearend parts as anyother other late model e36. nothing special there. If i wanted a ford 9in id have to back half the car and then i wouldnt realy consider it a true bmw anymore.

in for duct tape :gotme: are you sure you cant get anything from any of the auto stores around here that will give you lifetime i know atuozone and advanced is out…i just saying there has to be something else then bmw for them

nobody carries reman bmw shafts. i just ordered 2 used shafts for 105 shipped with less then 60k miles.

You know Driveshaft shop has bombproof e36 axles they made for cardcounter right? Not cheap, but they’ll do the trick. Of course, then you’ll really start nixing that diff bolt :wink:

I was going to suggest some aftermarket brands but, since you’re strapped for cash…nevermind.

seems some guys use the front axles of the jeep cherokee and just modify the splines, and flanges??? im gunna look into it. Im also contimplatiing possible going to a ujoint setup of some sort. if vipers can do then why not me???

^ I thought you didnt want a solid rear axle?

reinforced sleeves welded around would still break i’d think. it would just torque the axle in half right above the sleeve weld. worth a shot though…

its not a solid rear.

the way axles are designed is they are hollow in the middle. this disperses the force through out the whole shaft. now if it was a solid shaft it would do what you say, and just tear at the weakest point in the middle. but since none of the option im looking at are solid there is no worries.

ah i gotcha. i figured they would be solid. good luck in finding something though. i wanna see this thing make a pass sometime :slight_smile:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/turbociv/100807_17291.jpg

crap

THAT THURR DONT LOOK RIGHT!!

well, i contacted moser and im sending them my broken axle to see what they can do. im hoping theres something but im not gunna count on it.

any news ??